Unanswered: Securing a database

Hi -

I'm running Access 2003. I need to protect one of my tables from view by the customer (protecting all of the data is OK, too).

I have a front-end/back-end setup. I can provide some sort of password protection to prevent the front-end from displaying the private data, but I haven't figured out a way to prevent the user from getting to the back-end and viewing the private table.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

azjazz
    AzJazz

"I'm afraid the holodeck will be society's last invention." - Scott Adams

You could set the properties of your table to Hidden or in the database startup set the properties to false and set Status bar to true (tick) this does not stop the Bypass method e.g. Shift Key

I am using a database developed by Dave Mason that sets the database properties to prevent the user using the Bypass method e.g. Shift Key. Using this database I set the property of the selected database so that only the Status bar is displayed.

All my databases front-end and back-end are set so that only the database status is displayed. When the user tries to Bypass the startup no tables, forms etc are displayed.

Let me know if you require a copy of this database.

Thanks for the suggestions, Poppa Smurf ... that may become part of what I need to do.

However, I just found out that the data has to be really inaccessable (more than I originally thought). I may need to have the database / code encrypted so that a more-than-casual user really can't get access to the data.

Is this even possible in Access 2003?
    AzJazz

"I'm afraid the holodeck will be society's last invention." - Scott Adams

Last edited by Cosmos75; 10-05-07 at 11:20.
    http://AccessDB.Info

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. - Douglas Adams