Unanswered: How does mysql stack up against some of the other databases

Hi all,

I'm wondering what some of the opinions are on mysql. I have read a lot of material (biased) by a lot of people and propaganda that obviously push one database over another. I have a great respect for the people and their opinions on this forum and thought I may ask for everyone's opinion here.

I personally never cared much for mysql because it always put an emphasis on speed and never focused on the "quality" or integrity of the data IMHO. I realize that mysql is trying to change that now by adding features such as triggers and sprocs.

I am in the middle of making a UI in php for a mysql db. This db requires transactions. I have used other databases in the past and have been dreading the point when I would have to implement transactions in this database.

After doing about 10 minutes of research, I found that as long as I am using Innodb, I am already set up for transactions and it defaults to "REPEATABLE READ"; I do not need to do anything else. Wow. I cannot believe that. Now that is simple indeed.

I remember using transactions in postgres about 5 or 6 years ago and it was a pain from a programming standpoint. Mysql really has taken the pain out of using transactions. The ease of this database has really prompted me to ask around and see what everyone else thinks.

I have heard mysql referred to as a “toy database” and a “File system” on many occasions. Does anyone have any opinions on that?

Provided Answers: 54
    Ok, I'll launch the firestorm!

Today (using MySQL 4.1 or later), MySQL is a real contender in the database world. MyISAM is still a file system, barely better than dBase, but Innodb is a real competitor in the database arena.

At least in my opinion, versions of MySQL prior to 4.1 were both misleading (they would cheerfully process syntax for things like constraints, but never enforce those constraints), and downright dangerous to your network (extremely noisy and vulnerable to many forms of attack).

The biggest problem that I see in trying to make these kind of judgements about a database engine is due to the nature of how Open Source works... MySQL is a strong contender these days, but the versions of MySQL that most people use are not. This is because most of the casual system administrator (which includes ISPs) take whatever comes on their distribution, which may be MySQL 3.x! Because of this one problem, I need to qualify my support for MySQL as a database for new users.

-PatP

Thanks for the input Pat. I should have mentioned, I am using version 5.X.

Wink

I gotta a very very important question...
    How do you pronounce Innodb and MyISAM?

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by soonerlandrun
    How do you pronounce Innodb and MyISAM?
    eggzackly as dey are written

kthxbai

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

eye-no-Dee-Bee

and

My-eye-Sam ??

in-no-d-b

my-i-sam
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Yeah but how do you pronounce sql?

s-q-l

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Some say "squeal", not me though...

Or like the people in England "Ess Bloody Kue ell"!! I don't say "squeal" either.

I have a friend that is a programmer and he always says "squeal". It makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand right on end when he does that. I think he knows that it irritates me.