Unanswered: Down time from shrink?

Hello, everyone:

I have a production database in which data file takes 17GB and used 10GB. I want to shrink it. Once I take about one hour to shrink 1GB. So I am worry long shrinking time. Is there down time during the shrinking that doesn't allow user access?

Thanks

ZYT

Provided Answers: 6
    how big is(are) your log file(s)?

dbcc shrinkdatabase does not require the database to be in single user mode but you may want to schedule some down time as you are likely to see a performance hit on the server and you are going to want reindex after the shrink because of the frgamentation shrinking causes.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Hi, Sean:

Thanks for the reply. The log file is not big, just be about 100MB. Only data files are too.

ZYT

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    how big is(are) your log file(s)?

dbcc shrinkdatabase does not require the database to be in single user mode but you may want to schedule some down time as you are likely to see a performance hit on the server and you are going to want reindex after the shrink because of the frgamentation shrinking causes.

Are you shrinking the database on a regular interval? If you do: Don't!
    If you are running out of disk space: add more disks.

17GB is tiny for a database. After your shrink, I would review your automatic growth if you are worried about too much free space.