Free time series DBMS

Hi there,

I am currently involved in a project dealing with huge amounts of very simply structured data in the form of:

- a unix time-stamp
    - 2 byte measurement data
    - 2 byte meta information

The thing that's so special here is, that there are no delete or update operations involved at all. The only thing the DBMS has to provide is an extremely efficient way to append data, get access to the latest data-point and to calculate some statistics like arithmetic mean, modal values, minima/maxima.

So I was wondering, if a time series DBMS is actually the way to go, or if we should just go ahead and develop a home-brewn solution.

I also thought about using a general purpose DBMS like Mysql or Postgres, but I am having concerns with overhead and that it just will not be able to provide the data fast enough.

cheers, andreas

Can you guarantee that the time stamp will be unique? or that a combination of timestamp/meta information will be unique?

Please quantify "Huge Amounts"... What is huge to you, may not be large to someone else...

Please quantify "fast enough" ... i.e. Insert rates, retrieval rates, minimum response time, etc.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Quote Originally Posted by loquin
    Can you guarantee that the time stamp will be unique? or that a combination of timestamp/meta information will be unique?
    all combinations of timestamp/meta information will be unique.

Please quantify "Huge Amounts"... What is huge to you, may not be large to someone else...
    I'd estimate that there will be about one insert every two to three seconds.

Please quantify "fast enough" ... i.e. Insert rates, retrieval rates, minimum response time, etc.
    Insert rates aren't that important (as long as they don't block selects on statistics), what really counts is the access to the last data-point (again depending on timestamp/meta information) and fast access to statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by amm
    what really counts is the access to the last data-point (again depending on timestamp/meta information) and fast access to statistics.
    define "fast"...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

Note: The amount of data you describe is on the order of 15 million data points (and apx. 200 MB) per year - not 'huge' by any stretch. The index to support the unique/primary key you describe would almost double this. The database size to support this would not be excessive for any server-based product. Even the Express versions of SQL Server, Oracle, etc., would hold 5 years worth of data in a single database.

PostgreSQL or MySQL should work fine for this app. Assuming you don't need millisecond response times for reading the data.

I can't speak for MySQL, but PostgreSQL supports partitioned tables, which act to break up a single logical table structure into multiple, smaller physical tables, improving retrieval response times when single tables get too large (when they won't fit into available server RAM) in time critical applications.

How many clients will be retrieving data from the server at any one time?

Note - if you're really concerned about it, download the latest version of PostgreSQL (it's totally free,) install it, build a testbed database with the table/PK you describe, and populate it with a year or two of test data. Then, run tests to see how well it responds...

I tested postgresql last year with a similar, simple table structure, looking at insert speeds; I was pushing 1500 inserts a second into the table, and was retrieving data simultaneously (1-1000 records) with no apparent reduction in insertion rate.
    Last edited by loquin; 10-09-07 at 16:02.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

define "fast"...
    there's no definitive time-out limit, but the values should be delivered in about 0.1 to 0.5 seconds.

Note: The amount of data you describe is on the order of 200 MB per year - not 'huge' by any stretch. The index to support the unique/primary key you describe would almost double this. The database size to support this would not be excessive for any server-based product. Even the Express versions of SQL Server, Oracle, etc., would hold 5 years worth of data in a single database.

PostgreSQL or MySQL should work fine for this app. Assuming you don't need millisecond response times for reading the data.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will give PostgreSQL a try and if that doesn't work out, I'll check out MySQL.

I can't speak for MySQL, but PostgreSQL supports partitioned tables, which act to break up a single logical table structure into multiple, smaller physical tables, improving retrieval response times when single tables get too large (when they won't fit into available server RAM) in time critical applications.

How many clients will be retrieving data from the server at any one time?
    The absolute worst case would be about 50 clients at the same time.

What is huge to you, may not be large to someone else...
    Always an embarrassing realization.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Always an embarrassing realization.
    these personal situations sometime can be...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

amm:

with the statistical values be for the total number of records, or for a subset of the records, and if a subset, will the subset usually be time-based? (records for the last 24 hours, for instance...)
    Lou
    使大吃一惊

amm:

with the statistical values be for the total number of records, or for a subset of the records, and if a subset, will the subset usually be time-based? (records for the last 24 hours, for instance...)
    statistics need to be calculated for:
    • all available data
    • data from the last day
    • the last week
    • the last month
    • the last year

at the moment we only intend to use some basic descriptive statistics like the arithmetic mean, modal values, minima, maxima, ...

there may be need to do regression analysis later on, but currently the main focus lies on descriptive statistics.