Unanswered: Getting RTE in queries in A2K under XP

Hey there strangers! Been a while ...

I set up a buddy of mine with A2K running under XP and he's having a problem with my code where any of my queries with either LEFT, LEFT$, RIGHT, or RIGHT$ arfs with the unknown function RTE ... He has all the right references, the right MDAC, and I even had him recompile the app ... Still blowing chunks.

Any thoughts on what I've missed?

Thanks!

- Mike
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I was getting an error message while opening Access that said I was missing a reference to OWC.dll. The references didn't show anything was missing, but Access kept bombing until I loaded Office Web Components.

I would get this error intermittently and I could ignore it before with no problems. But one day, it opened but could not run any of the built in functions.

Your post didn't say if you refreshed the references on his system, but I am assuming you did.

I had a similar problem to DCKunkle and it also ended up being a reference problem. If any of the references show "missing", other references below that reference will not load.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks guys ... Only problem is that there are no missing references. I guess the larger question is if Office 2000 will even run on XP stably ...

Yes. Access 2000/Office 2000 works very well on XP. Only problems are when you have 2 versions of Access installed on the same computer. This will cause problems and Microsoft recommends not having 2 versions of Access on the same computer.

Did you just install Access 2000 or did you install Office 2000? I'm wondering if not having the entire Office package installed is an issue.

Typical references I have for an Access application are:
    1. Visual Basic for Applications
    2. Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library
    3. OLE Automation
    4. Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
    5. Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library

Here's some help from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q194374/

The main point being, have him go to the references, uncheck and then recheck a reference, then debug/compile and try running the app.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-11-07 at 11:44.

I'm struggling to remember what I did to sort this. I think Izy knows the problem well though I'd have thought he would have been in by now if so. Those functions are all part of the vba library and I think it was that that was b0rked for me, as Paul says. You can't uncheck a healthy VBA reference though - not sure if it is poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Typical references I have for an Access application are:
    1. Visual Basic for Applications
    2. Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library
    3. OLE Automation
    4. Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
    5. Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library

Here's some help from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q194374/

The main point being, have him go to the references, uncheck and then recheck a reference, then debug/compile and try running the app.
    Paul, here's the prob. Those libs are checked (except for DAO which is not used) There was office XP on before office 2K was put on ... It was uninstalled. Could be some leftovers gumming up the works? The kicker is that the office XP was ther standard ed without Access on it.

I did have ADO 2.7 put on because that was the lib I dev'd the app with. What showed in the refs was ADO 2.7 and ADO 2.8 for DDL and security

I'm wondering if that last mismatch is what's causing the problem ...

hey pootle,
    was in a meeting all week - no playtime until now.

i have not had Mike's prob - izyMegaCorp is extremely cautious with OS upgrades so i normally have Office rev > OS rev which is the opposite of Mike's situation.

outside izyMegaCorp, my son tried my old O2k-developer on his XP box for a few months ...there were MANY issues - the installation itself seemed to be fragile: Office features would come and go at random. he gave up and bought a Vista/O07 box.

BTW Vista/O07 is pretty scary - i got a failure report Monday from a user running an A95 app under Vista/O07 (!! it has been thru the auto-conversions and is still error-free in O2K/W2k and O2k3/W2k) ...the app throws a spurious error message on one particular INSERT INTO even tho it successfully completes the insert. it is going to be a fun weekend digging into eleven year old code

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I actually misquoted on unchecking a reference as the Microsoft says to check another reference and then uncheck it. Apparently this does some kind of "refresh" on the references. I'm curious though if doing this would actually work. It's worth a shot though and let us know if it makes a difference.