Unanswered: Linking Table from ODBC

I am at my wits end. I thought I knew what I was doing but apparently I don't. I am sure I am missing a very simple step but just can't figure it out.

I am attempting to link tables to a new Access database project. I click New table/Link Table/OK. When the link pop up appears, I select ODBC Database(). Nothing happens. I don't get a list of tables. I don't get an error message. I can continue to repeat these steps until I am blue in the face.

What am I missing?

Thanks
    Tina

Provided Answers: 5
    Select the ODBC Databases option
    Then if it is a new link type the name you want to use and select the new button

your choicesfrom there will be a machine or system dsn - I usuually have clients select the 2nd tab then the 2nd option

follow all the steps in selecting the sql server and so forth

when you are done the dialog box will bring you back to the open file dialog and then you dbl click the name of the dsn you created created.

It should then show a table listing of the tables in that database

remember in the dsn process you have to select the name of the database as well as the server.

The database name will be on the drop down that has "change master database" option
    Dale Houston, TX

If you have an ADP then you will need to connect to data using File/Connection. It is different than an MDB. With an MDB you can link many different tables from many different sources. With an ADP you connect to a SQL Server database and that is it. You cannot have local Access tables or any other linked tables. When you connect to a SQL Server database, you will see all the tables, views and stored procedures in that database.

If you need to connect to more than one source then I think you will have to work with an MDB. The advantage of an ADP is that SQL Server does the heavy lifting (SQL). With an MDB it is done by Access.