Unanswered: Good Study/Reference

Hello all,
    I am a network admin with no db exp at all. I want to learn more about db's and see if it is something I might enjoy as the network admin field has become flooded (at least in my area) and I wish to pursue other options. I for all intensive purposes know nothing about db's. There are no classes close to me that I can take so I am at least for now starting with self education. A few people suggested I get started by learning Access and expanding from there. Any opionions on that advice would be great as well as what books are recommended to get started with my teaching. I am very green and will need something that is easy for a newb to understand. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Just looking for a starting point,
    Brian

Provided Answers: 5

Reference

for developing Litwin and Getz Access Developer's handbook

for Newbiews
    I think Que books put out an Access Bible - though there are several books with that kind of title - the on where the data samples are from a Vetinarian hospital is the best in my opinion.

Also O'Reilly Press has a very good core of data base design and language called (I think) Access Database programming - something like that.
    Dale Houston, TX

My advice is to start with a book about relational databases. Since all of the major databases (Access, SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.) use relational database theory to store and represent data.

It should cover topics like normalization, table relationships (one-to-many, many-to-many) and referential integrity.

You will also want to have a book that covers SQL syntax. That way you can create tables, add, delete and update table data.

Then finally you will want something that will help you create a useful application. You can use Access (forms, reports, etc) and VBA, Visual Basic, C#, or something similar to allow you to create the user interface (forms, reports, etc.).

It will take some time to get up to speed. Then once you are up to speed, staying up-to-date will be similar to staying up-to-date as a network admin.

One good thing for you is you can skip ahead and begin using the most recent languages, software, etc. If you are using Microsoft products, I would recommend C#, VB.NET, ADO.NET, SQL Server 2005, and Access 2007. If you are at the bookstore or online and you are not sure what technologies to target, anything .NET will be more current.

The access bible I referred

to covers from beginners to intermediate - good book and great object lessons for expanding knowledge
    Dale Houston, TX

DC, thank you very much for the reply. That helps me a lot by just gettting a better grasp on some basic areas.

Ax, thanks for your recommendation. Can you elaborate just a bit more on which bible, when I search an Amazon i get multiple responses with mulitple authors. Can you mention which author you recommed. I noticed you mention Que, but I cannot tell if that is a publisher,author or something else. thanks again.

Author is Cary Prague

here is a link to an older edition (I think 2000) but this should help

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Acce.../dp/0764532863
    Dale Houston, TX

Lightbulb

You can find a lot of interesting e-books regarding database in following address:

http://www.btebook.com/5-01a8edbf9d27cebe.htm

I recommend you download these books and read for beginning:

1-Access.2007.Bible
    http://www.btebook.com/{BBE25FF8-A5CE-4AC2-B1DF-33D5C7769DA8}.htm

2-Access.2003.VBA.Programmers.Reference
    http://www.btebook.com/{FDC9FD75-7E75-4C11-97CD-DD78ACF0BF15}.htm