Unanswered: DB2 backup question

Hi All,

ENV: AIX 5.3, DB2 8.2 FP 7

If i want to backup by database to tsm and also send archived logs to tsm i just set up the db cfg LOGARCHMETH1 to TSM, but if i don't want to send my logs to tsm and keep them on disk only, what database parameters I can change?

Also by not sending the archived logs to tsm and sending backups to tsm, can this cause any issues with database recovery, like slow recovery, etc?

Thanks

Anks

Provided Answers: 5
    The parameter you need to set is LOGARCHMETH1.

The answer to your second question is that by keeping the archived logs on disk you will speed up recovery because you do not have to get them from tsm. You run the risk that in the event that the disk crashes, you could lose your logs making recovery almost impossible.

Andy

Thanks

The database that I am talking about is set up for HA. And the reason for keeping the archive logs on disk is that in case of a failure, these archived logs are shipped to the standy.

Is it possible to send the archived logs to tsm and still be able to retrieve the logs from tsm on the standby machine? Can this be achieved through creating a virtual node on TSM which is accessible from both primary and standby machines? What db parameters needs to be taken care of in such a scenario?

Thanks again for your help

Anks

I have not used tsm but I should hope that you should be able to access the logs on another server, otherwise what would be the point.

You should also note that you have dual log archive methods (LOGARCHMETH2). You might be able to set up both tsm archiving and disk.

Andy

Okay

If I set up, LOGARCHMETH1 to TSM and LOGARCHMETH2 to DISK:/home/db2inst1/archive_logs/ and I need to constantly send logs to the standby machine also. What happens when the failover occurs, how the restore will take place?

I am sorry but i have never worked on a hot standby scenario, and thats why I am asking these questions.

Thanks again

Anks

Take a look at this link. It is old but it might help.

You can also look into HADR at this link:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpiece...7363.html?Open

Andy

Thanks.

I have another question if I am updating the userprofile and adding the dsmi vars in the userprofile, do i have to bounce the instance after making changes to the userprofile?

If I just do "set dsmi vars" as an instance owner wouldn't that set my variables at the shell?

Please advise

Thanks
    Anks

I do not know AIX at all, but if you change any parameters that affect how the instance is running, then you will need to bounce it.

Andy