Red face Unanswered: upgrading paradox 4.5 on Novell to Win2003

Hi all..

Well, we recently got our copy of Windows 2003 server , we have been using Novell 4.11 Server as our File Server for Paradox Tables.. we want to move paradox from Novell to Win2003..

I've made a sharing folder for the paradox tables on the new server with proper permissions for paradox users.. and each user at his WinXP runs Paradox 4.5 and access the tables from the new server with no problem. All seem great, but the problem that i have is that 2 users at the same time can 'Edit' the same table, (Not using Co-Edit).. in Novell the first user that grab the table for 'Edit', he 'Lock' the table and until he save it or released, others people could 'Edit' the table.. that's my problem..

if anyone coul help, i would really appreciated. tk's in advance..

Re: upgrading paradox 4.5 on Novell to Win2003

> 2 users at the same time can 'Edit' the same table, (Not using Co-Edit)

you should NEVER use Edit Mode in Paradox DOS, except for setting ValChecks when you create a new table.. Edit Mode puts all changes in memory until you post the entire session.. if anything goes wrong in the meantime, such a cradh, lock-up, or even a minor power blip, you have lost
    EVERYTHING.. if this has never happened to you, you are very lucky..
    there are other bad things that can happen when you use Edit Mode, too..

now.. the fact that you can start two Edit sessions on the same table usually means that your mapping to the database and/or the net file is wrong.. every workstation, including a session on the server itself, MUST be exactly the same.. not just resolving to the same place, but exactly the same..

Hey Steve..

Tk's for replying.. ;

Well we have use paradox for dos in Edit mode the las couple of years, , i didn't now about the problems.. ..

Regarding my problem, i have read what your suggesting, that the path to the tables must be the same for all users including the server itself. I have done this before posting my problem, and i stil have the problem. One way to verified this is that i go to the Shares in the server to see who's using wich table (open files), and i see that both users are opening the same file in the same directory.

the problem i think is in the pdoxusrs.lck file, it generates when a user goes in a table, but somehow if another users opens the same table, it generates another pdoxusrs.lck file in the same directory. ,

I'm going to give it a try again,
    I have download Pdox for dos 4.5 in the proper installation disk, wich i'll be pointing in the configuration file in the setup the same path for all users, and the servers itself..

i'll keep you posted.

> Well we have use paradox for dos in Edit mode the las couple of years <

aside from the potential damage issues I've discussed, be aware that using Edit Mode posts a Full Lock on a table.. nobody else can do anything with that table while the FL is there.. can't view, can't query, can't do reports.. nothing..

> i see that both users are opening the same file in the same directory. <

but there are ways that paradox can be confused, and NOT know that both users are in the same place, thus potentially creating a disaster.. this is very easy if one of the workstations is actually the server, too, and that workstation points to everything as C: drive, while the other stations use the network path.. paradox will NOT know that the C: drive user is pointing to the same files..

> the problem i think is in the pdoxusrs.lck file, it generates when a user goes in a table, but somehow if another users opens the same table, it generates another pdoxusrs.lck file in the same directory. <

wrong.. there can't be two files with the same name in a folder.. not just lock files, any files..

but.. there are always a pair of lock files.. the pdoxusrs.lck file is the active file, and the paradox.lck file is there to keep old 3.x apps from using the folder.. or, if a real 3.x app hits the folder first, that file keeps the 4.x users out..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Follow up to 4.5 to Windows 2003 upgrade

Hi I am not a Paradox Guru but provide network/system support for a client that has migrated to Windows 2003 running PDOX 4.5. Everything works great until the 129th user logs in and then all the sessions start locking up. Any help and pointing in right direction would be appreciated.

Wayne

> Everything works great until the 129th user logs in

you're gonna feel really silly, when I tell you that there's a 128-user limit.. (g).. but it's true.. however, depending on what you're doing there, 128 users is usually way past the "practical" limit anyhow.. app performance and network response are most likely already in the dumper, aren't they?
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too