Unanswered: Does it matter what the web server?

I have a newbie problem. I want to migrate from ASP to PHP but my development PC will remain under Windows OS. My server will be running a Linux OS, which one I'm not sure yet.

My question is, does it matter if I develop my application with IIS web server and then make it run on another web server Linux OS?

Also, will PHP run with Oracle? Does anybody have a connection string example or something?

Thanks in advance.

Php

If you do not use Operating System related stuff ,I do not thing you will have a problem as php is one for all.
    Maybe someone with more experience may say for sure .
    I made a php site at resin (Java server that support php) and the only problem were the set of character encoding.
    My resin server configuration wanted unicode for my language characters.
    Also I made php scripts at windows with Abyss web server and then I upload them at apache and I did not had any problem.
    For oracle and php I found this .
    Last edited by dimis2500; 10-18-07 at 08:36.

Hopefully you will be using the same Apache/PHP versions in both your environments.
    Things to be careful of :
    1) Using $_SERVER variables, they change per OS.
    2) Case sensitivity, Windoze doesn't care, Linux DOES (and rightly so).

PHP has built in support for Oracle I believe, either through ODBC or through PHP native built in functions ( i think ). See http://uk2.php.net/oci8

I don't really know if they'll be the same Apache/PHP version, but I too hope they will =)

Thank you very much for all your help! You really got me going!
    Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Just to add to this post, i was doing some work in a Windbloze environment earlier today and ended up banging my head on the desk because .htaccess in XAMPP was making my life hell, whereas the same .htaccess in Linux was pleasantly working as expected. It all ended up being a rewrite URL, windbloze was taking /login to mean /Login and outputting the contents of a directory instead of URL rewriting as we expected to utilise the index.php file and relevant bootloader.