Thread: case study !

Red face case study !

hi
    i need to do report about DB system architecture with a case study for one of DBMS products

i did the part about the system architecture , but i do not understand the case study part , so if any one can just to explain what the meaning of it
    thanx

Your tutor is normally the best person to answer such a question.
    George
    Home | Blog

Georgev has an excellent point. Even if you were to post everything you had gotten regarding the assignment, we still wouldn't know what had been discussed in class. This is really a question that the professor, one of the assistants, or a tutor really needs to help you with, we aren't able to do a good job on this kind of question.

-PatP

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe

georgev , Pat Phelan
    thank you and i know you right , but if he answered me i would not come here to ask ,

amthomas , thanx for the link , but it wasn't helpful

all of you thanx again for ur time

georgev, Pat, amthomas, he wanted you to write the case study FOR him. You have all fallen far short of the poster's expectations, and if this continues you are in danger of having your licenses for giving free advice revoked.

By the way, amthomas: love the sig! "Latin 'literation..."
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

georgev, Pat, amthomas, he wanted you to write the case study FOR him
    No blindman I do not want any one to write any thing FOR me . The problem that I did not understand what he meant by "case study for one of DBMS products ". I did not have replay from him, so I thought of asking here .
    Sorry if I did not clarify this from start since English is not my native language.
    Again I do not expect (nor need) any one to do my work, I need to understand the idea

Thanks again all

pick a DBMS and do a study on it following one of the guidelines in the wiki link I gave you

thats really the best answer I can think of for what you are asking. If he is interested in specifics you will have to get them from him.

hehe.. thanks blindman. I don't know latin, but I love V for Vendetta and it was either that or 'In Codd We Trust' :P haha.. a little to cheesy.
    Last edited by amthomas; 10-19-07 at 16:13.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe

The problem that I see is that the professor could have meant many different things by the phrase "a case study for one of DBMS products" and we have no way to discern what they might have meant.

I'm going to make a lot of assumptions and give you my best guess based on what you put into your original posting. There is NO guarantee at all that I will guess correctly on this, so beware!

If I take the words from your original post literally, the professor wants you to pick one of the existing database products (such as MySQL or DB2) and write an analysis of how the system is architected. In other words give basic analysis of the design of the product (in very broad terms), then focus more closely on the actual details of how the product was implemented to provide more insight and understanding of the architecture.

Keep in mind that this is an interpretation of what you posted, which is apparently translated into a different language and being interpreted by a person who was not in class or even on campus with you to have insight into what is really wanted. This makes my opinion at best a well founded guess, and if I'm off even slightly the value of that guess drops off very quickly!

-PatP

Try to locate a copy of "The Database Hackers Handbook: Defending Database Servers" (2005) by Litchfield et. al.

Each of the major commercial & open source database servers are discussed, and each discussion includes a chapter describing the specific server's architecture.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert