Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Red Gate SQL Backup vs. Quest LiteSpeed

Anyone have experience with either of these products? Your thoughts?

-a

Based on the data types with a database, I've seen both achieve up to about 60 - 75% compression. Redgate is usually cheaper, but it depends on the size of your organization and teh contract you negotiate.

When we last did a comparison a couple of years ago, Quest was the only organizationi that offered 24 x 7 support. Redgate support was during normal business hours.

Both work and work well. Both can log ship too!

HTH

Tom

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Other option

We use Idera SQLsafe. 24x7, Good support. Solid. Nice UI.

I use sql server
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

I'm leaning towards Quest Litespeed. Our databases are 200-400 GB in size, so I really like the ability to do a row/column level restore. The performance is much better than SQL Server backups as well; (30-35 min. vs. 2.5-3 hours), and we're seeing 80% compression on the file size which means we can keep more backup files on disk.

-a

For anyone who has purchased LiteSpeed, what kind of discount should I expect on this product?

-a

My name’s Helen Joyce, and I’m the project manager for SQL Backup at Red Gate Software.

One new feature you’ll be interested in as you compare SQL Backup with Litespeed is our release of Row Level Restore in SQL Data Compare Pro just this past month. SQL Backup integrates easily with SQL Data Compare Pro, which means you can compare and synchronize live databases with backups, or just compare two backups (whether they are from native SQL Server or backups created with SQL Backup) to perform easy data restore at table-, row- or column-level. We also have an interesting article on our website http://www.red-gate.com/RLR from the development manager of SQL Data Compare, Richard Mitchell which explains how Row Level Restore works and its advantages (including extra granularity to home in on the data you want to restore) over the object-level restore method offered by Litespeed.

We’re always interested to hear feedback and suggestions for future versions from all our customers who trial and use our tools in the real world, so please do get in touch! We’d be very pleased to hear from you. If you’d like any more info on SQL Backup, there’s also a free trial, demos, walkthroughs and more on our website http://www.red-gate.com/backup.

Helen, thanks for the reply. I don't like the fact that I need to purchase 2 products from Red Gate in order to perform a row/column level restore. In Quest LiteSpeed, the row/column level restore is part of the product and doesn't require any extra add-on. If row/column level restore functionality was built-in to Red Gate SQL Backup, I would definitely go with it.

-a

Data Compare Pro

Hi Architect.

Thanks for the prompt reply. My name's James Moore, and I was technical lead for the latest version of SQL Backup. I understand that it may seem strange to need two products to perform row-level restore. However, when Red Gate's team was discussing the technical aspects of this, it was decided that the approach that Quest LiteSpeed's object-level restore takes was an unsafe and unsound thing to do on a live database.

We felt that it was better to utilize our existing data comparison product, SQL Data Compare Pro, and allow you to see the changes you would make to your production database before actually making them. LiteSpeed does not allow you to do this and just bulk copies the data back into your database without regard to the data already in there.

You also mentioned the price of purchasing two tools in your post. I'd like to emphasize that you only need to purchase one license of SQL Data Compare Pro for one DBA to use on all of the servers in the DBA's organization. SQL Data Compare Pro is also a separate tool within in its own right, which means you can complete a range of other tasks, such as verifying the success of your data migration, or troubleshooting any replication issues. Volume discounts are available on our tools, so it's always worth giving our sales team a call or sending an email to find out more! Contact details are here: http://www.red-gate.com/about/contact.htm

Best wishes,

James Moore
    Red Gate Software

At Idera, we provide two versions of our backup and recovery product that I think will be of interest to you.

SQLsafe is SQL Server backup and recovery product that provides centralized management across the enterprise, compression, encryption and table level recovery functionality. Cost is $995 per instance, everything included.

SQLsafe Freeware Edition is our FREE SQL Server database backup and recovery tool. SQLsafe Freeware Edition gives you a high-performance backup and recovery engine, a scriptable interface (command line and XSP) and the ability to backup and compress any size and any number of databases, all for FREE. More information can be obtained from http://www.idera.com/Products/SQLsafefree/Default.aspx.

Feel free to visit our website for more information on all our tools http://www.idera.com.

Heather Sullivan
    Idera Product Manager

Which Way to Turn?

This topic seems to be creating a good deal of interest. I work at Quest in the SQL Server division, and I was the original inventor of the LiteSpeed product; being a SQL Server DBA for 10 years I understand that you need to be very comfortable with any third party product that is going to manage your backups. I think all the companies that you are talking to are reputable and you should go with the one that you are most comfortable with.

I can’t comment on the companies that have tried to copy LiteSpeed but I can tell you a little bit about the LiteSpeed product. LiteSpeed has been in the market for 5 years and is the only one that is certified by Microsoft. In fact Microsoft themselves have standardized on the product including backing up their SAP financials. I don’t think anyone here would dispute that it is probably the most widely used backup product for production SQL Servers. We launched table level recovery and object level recovery over a year ago with support from Microsoft. We continue to lead the way with new innovations and have many new innovations on the horizon.

We have a very strong team here at Quest and work very hard at ensuring our customers have nothing but an exceptional experience with LiteSpeed.
    If you would like to disuss the backup options in more detail, I would be happy to talk to you personally.

Regards
    Douglas Chrystall
    Douglas.chrystall_quest.com
    (exchange the _ for an @)

This topic started out interesting but went quickly down hill from there...

@All the sales people: ofcourse you were the first, have the best product, the most features, the best support, the best developers, etc. Now go play somewhere else... (forum Marketplace maybe?).

Make sure to test your restores thoroughly

Howdy, Architect. About a year and a half ago, I tried eval versions of RedGate's product, Idera's SQLsafe v3.1, and Quest Litespeed. At the time, all three of them got roughly the same compression ratios (like you, I see around 80%) and the same backup times after they'd been tweaked for my particular servers. I ended up going with SQLsafe v3.1 because it was the best price.

I used it on OLTP servers with around 100-200gb of data and on two data warehouses with 1tb and 2tb of data. It worked great, and it was very easy to use. The thing I probably liked the most was that it makes t-log restores really, really easy: my junior DBAs and sysadmins could pick the source server & database name from dropdowns, and then click a "Most Recent Backup" button. SQLsafe would automatically fetch all of the necessary files from the repository, and the junior guys didn't need to go through a bunch of scripting or digging through filenames.

A few weeks ago, I upgraded my 2tb data warehouse to the new SQLsafe v4.6, and the user interface is even better. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem trying to restore the backups to our QA environment. I worked with Idera's support and they narrowed it down to a bug that they're working on fixing in v4.7. (I've actually been emailing Heather, who's on this thread - hi, Heather! Please don't kill me, but if you've got the time to reply to Architect's question, you need to go back to fixing the bug, ha ha ho ho....

My users started rioting in the hallways, though, and I couldn't wait any longer for the bug to get fixed. I ended up switching to Litespeed, and the restore worked the first time.

You said your databases are around 200-400gb, so you shouldn't see the same restore issue I saw. On my smaller databases, restores went fine. However, I'm just putting this out there because if I was doing the product evals, I'd want to know. Heather said mine was the first case of SQLsafe not being able to restore a backup, and I completely believe it. SQLsafe worked fine for me - until it didn't, and at that point, thank God I was only doing a restore to my QA environment. Shame on me for not testing v4.6 as soon as it came out so that I'd have known the restores weren't working on my data warehouses. Plus, if I'd have had these problems on my production environment, I'd have been really screwed, because during the troubleshooting process, Idera had me reboot the server several times - something I wouldn't have been able to do in production.

Anyway, bottom line - make sure you test the restores as well as the backups.

I'm in the midst of writing up a comparison between the two products, and I'll put it on my web site in a few days.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexiflex
    @All the sales people: ofcourse you were the first, have the best product, the most features, the best support, the best developers, etc. Now go play somewhere else... (forum Marketplace maybe?).
    Everybody has an opinion, and yours is just as good as anyone elses. However, an opinion and five dollars will still get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks... In other words, not everyone will value your opinion nearly as much as you do.
    I'm very much inclined to let the vendors marketing crews have their say, and in fact I'll outright encourage it. I am ALWAYS in favor of having the development teams (such as DouglasC) here at DBForums. I might not agree with what they say, and I might not understand it (which I don't see as their shortcoming), but I know that I'm always interested in hearing it!

There is a reason that I chose the title "Resident Curmudgeon" and those who know me well understand that... I'm a cynic of the finest kind. I even wear down the folks from Missouri with my litany of "Show Me" that goes on almost forever. In spite of that (or maybe because of it) I actively want to talk with the folks who built the tools that I use or am considering using, and will talk until they tire of me. The only way that I know to make good decisions is to know everything you possibly can about the subject in question, and my ability to sell the decisions that I can make is what keeps me and my family fed!

-PatP

PatP - agreed, I was pleasantly surprised to see replies directly from the developers of these products.

-a