Unanswered: I built an equipment scheduler

I built and equipment scheduler and I felt compelled to share it with the folks who have helped me so much in learning and using access. So, take a look, poke it, see what it does. I don't have the administrator side built yet so you'll have to add new computers to the table directly but the customer interface is done, as far as I can tell.

Comments and criticisms are welcomed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Starkmann,

I downloaded the app and played around with it (as I usually like to do.) Just a couple of things to note (please take it constructively)...

- Opening it with MSAccess 2000 gives me an error with the .AddItem command.
    - Opening it with MSAccess 2003 and adding a new User (or selecting one in the listbox) gives me an error that "C:\Documents and Settings\mamos3\Desktop\LaptopReg.mdb is not a valid path." (you may want to change...FilePath = "C:\Documents and Settings\mamos3\Desktop\LaptopReg.mdb" to use the AppPath).
    - I noticed you hard-coded in the email address but there is an email address field (or did I miss this?) Am I able to send an email to the email address I enter?
    - I was hoping for a pop-up calendar form when double-clicking on the date fields (I'm lazy with typing in dates, even like a popup form for selecting times.)
    - It looks like you used an OpenConnection function in a module but didn't utilize it for the recordset code. I like the concept of this and the way you started it but it looks like you took a different route on not implementing it.
    - Could you use a phone number mask for the phone number entry?
    - Can the tab go to the Accept button after entering the phone number?
    - Can you do a docmd.setwarnings False, do the append, and then docmd.setwarnings True so you wouldn't need to see the "about to append 1 record message"?
    - I get picky on tab orders. You may want to check your tab order on the CheckkOutFrm.
    - A background form would be nice.
    - One of my pet irks is seeing the properties box when the form opens.
    - I like to see my user login on the form (and stored in the table for the record I create.)
    - You need to set up relationships.
    - Recommend a DateEntered and EnteredBy (user loginID) fields for the CheckOut table.
    - Remove default of 0 for UserID and EquipID in Checkout table and some of the other ID fields.
    - A little confusing on the CheckOutFrm when I first opened it. A Main Menu form would be nice and possibly more explanation on how to work the CheckOutFrm and enter/search for data (search boxes in yellow perhaps?).
    - Field names on forms are not consistent with fields of data they represent.

Overall Good start and nice app. I like the way you've set it up.

I'm more than happy to take a look at it again when you get more of it done if you want more feedback (if you don't think I've been too harsh with my comments - sorry - don't take offense - just habit.)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-19-07 at 17:45.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

A few suggestions

Starkmann,

I hope you don't mind but I made a few improvements (done rather quickly) but I wanted to show you a few options you could add in. I also added in relationships to the tables and a few modules (some are extra ones you may find useful), and a calendar popup form (double-click on the date field.)

I had to comment out some of your code to do this quickly to show you.

I only had time to do this but I also wanted to show you a way you can write to a recordset in ADO which might be easier than the method you're doing, open a form without the caption bar, and a way to get the user loginID.

Again, I hope you don't mind (it took me a few minutes so if you don't like the stuff I tweaked, that's ok.)
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-19-07 at 18:33.

Paul,

I apologize for the delay in responding, off goofing off for the weekend. I really appreciate the feed back and the work it looks like you did. Later tonight or sometime tomorrow I will download your version. It will be incredibly helpful. I don't have a copy in front of my right at the moment but let me address as many of the things you noticed as I can.

Errors:
    If I recall, I converted it to 2002 in order to make it an MDE (obviously not what I uploaded here). This was a two day slapdash project that I was kinda happy with. The path error surprises me. I thought I had changed all thsoe hard coded pathes to call the file path that the program sat at, obviously not though.

Email Address:
    When you say I hard coded it, I'm assuming you were referning to how I built it as part of the user info bu then allow you to change it after you select a user. This was actually done more for the benefit of allowing people to change their phone number from the stored number as that is something that can often happen. I guess I didn't even consider locking the email address.
    Calendar:
    I had thought of that and totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me.
    Open Connection Module:
    This is something I can never quite get to work, so your analysis was dead on there. There are a lot of things in a lot of my projects that I would like to modulize and just seem to never get right.
    Phone Number Mask:
    I thought about it but where I work most people use 5 digits to refer to their phone number. I could make it check for either configuration.
    Tab To Accept:
    I'm assuming this is on the new employee form. It sure could, I didn't think about it.
    Set warnings to false:
    One of the things on my list, right after the admin console, but very good point. i just figured out how to do it a project or so ago.
    Background Form:
    I assume this is just a form that opens on startup and sits behind everything. i have never used one of these but it would be incredibly useful. I have a different app I built that uses a minimized form that keeps drifting into view and that might be very helpful.
    Properties Box:
    That bugs me too, how do I avoid that?
    User login:
    My usual plan is to grab the ID that they log into the workstation with. I have not implemented that here. With the way we do computer, I would still have to allow them to change who it is. Do you think a seperate ID and password to the app is a good idea?
    Dat Entered/Entered By:
    To see if someone is erroneously checking out equipment in someone else's name, right? Great idea.
    Default of 0:
    I'll have to look at that one to totally understand that.
    Confusing/ help:
    This seems to be a problem with everything I develop. I don't know if I need to learn more about interaction design or if i just need to accept help typte text as a rule. I will add some.
    Field Names:
    That is a really lazy habit I have gotten into lately. Everyone seems so tickled I can do any of these I end up with three of four of these little projects at any time and I'm developing some lazy/bad habits like that, I need to cure myself of that.

I'll definitely look at your sample later. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Rest assured, I take no offense. Since you offered, I'll also post up my next iteration.
    Thanks again.

Paul,

Just wanted to let you know I took a look at your version. I appreciate all the suggestions. You did some things in different ways than I have ever thought of. I appreciate it. That class module you have in there looks very powerful and complex. I'm gonna have to figure out how to take advantage of that.
    I'm going to implement a lot of your suggestions and then post up round two. Hopefully I'll be around the boards again more. I've learned a chunk on my own but I'm coming back to the point that I could really use some of the wisdom you all have.

I'm here when you need me starkmann. Upload your lastest example and I'll take a look. There were a few other suggestions I had and didn't have the time to do them but I'd be interested in seeing the latest version.

I have taken the vast majority of your suggestions to heart. Some are implemented differently than you did. Sometimes it was personal preference and some was for me to learn it. There are a couple features that are started but not yet complete. Sadly, they opted for a different approach than my little app here but I think I'm gonna keep working it over.

Error: These should be gone. Please let me know if you encounter them
    Hard Coded Email Address: That is still that way. I will change it but I haven't quite wrapped my head around how I want to drive it, by user id or by user class. I'm thinking the latter.
    Calendar: I used a different one than you had but the concept is the same. I would like to be able to implement some kind of a graphical interface for the clock to but I can't find on in the default ActiveX controls and I haven't really gone on the hunt yet.
    Open Connection Module: This should be better now
    Phone Number Mask: I forgot about this one and have done nothing with it. It will require a little more than a standard mask but I think I can work with it.
    Tab to Accept: Fixed
    Warnings to False: Fixed
    Properties box: I believe this is fixed
    User Login: Addressed slightly differently. I don't display it explicitly but I drive the form with it.
    Date Entered/Entered By: added
    Default of 0: Fixed
    Confusing/Help: I took a crack at this. Let me know what you think of the label at the top right of the checkout form.
    Field Names: I didn't go back and rename them all but any new fields were named properly, or what I could consider proper.

Anyone who wants to is welcome to kick the tire and poke the bear. Criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

Paul, thanks for all your help so far. I hope you will be able to take a look at the improved version.