Thread: View Privileges

Unanswered: View Privileges

Is there any special reason for why there is no ALTER ANY VIEW privilege, alike other system privileges such as ALTER ANY TABLE or ALTER ANY CLUSTER ?

With the CREATE *OBJECT* privilege the user is able to create, alter and drop the *OBJECT* in your schema only, whilst with ALTER ANY *OBJECT*, for example, he is able to alter any *OBJECT* in any schema - what seems to be not possible with views, though you can alter a view under your schema with the CREATE VIEW privilege.

Provided Answers: 4
    Read the manual and see what it says about the GRANT statement. You'll find out that ALTER ANY TABLE allows you to alter any table or view in any schema.

All right. Ultimately I think the privilege names ended up with confusing names, 'cause one can now ask why doesn't the CREATE TABLE privilege can't create also views in your schema - and if it can, why then they did create the CREATE VIEW privilege. Anyways, I've been studying through
    "OCA/OCP: Introduction to Oracle9i SQL Study Guide by Chip Dawes and Biju", and, according to some answers here, looks like some definitions are misleading or incomplete.

Thanks anyway

Provided Answers: 4
    I guess the best way to make sure who is right is to test it by yourself. I hope you have installed an Oracle database (Express Edition is a nice one), so - go ahead and you'll find the truth!