Unanswered: SQL 2005 clustering and MSDTC

hi all....active/active. windows 2003 sp2. two nodes. two instances, each on a separate virtual server. my msdtc resource is in the cluster group. when i have the cluster group on one node, the sql instance that is running on the other node can't see DTC. Makes sense since the service is not up, but is this a problem? Seems strange to have a red stop sign on my dtc icon in sql management studio. I suppose I won't be able to run Distributed Transactions on that node, which kinda stinks. Wondering if anyone has seen a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecandlewood
    hi all....active/active. windows 2003 sp2. two nodes. two instances, each on a separate virtual server. my msdtc resource is in the cluster group. when i have the cluster group on one node, the sql instance that is running on the other node can't see DTC. Makes sense since the service is not up, but is this a problem? Seems strange to have a red stop sign on my dtc icon in sql management studio. I suppose I won't be able to run Distributed Transactions on that node, which kinda stinks. Wondering if anyone has seen a workaround.
    Did you configure DTC for network access? There's a step in Windows 2003 that you don't have in Windows 2000 clustering.

Have you tried enlisting a distributed transaction on the second node? Or are you just concerned because you see the "stop" icon. We had no issues with the second node running distributed transactions (even when the DTC resource was "off-node").

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

link that hmscott would have put in his email:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817064

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Thanks guys. Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I couldn't access message boards at work until today. security thing. anywhoo.... I ended up contacting MS support. They said that the red stop sign is not an issue. DTC will still work in a cluster. so they had me create linked servers as a test. worked fine. i guess i needed confirmation from them since this seems a little weird. appreciate your responses. they were helpful.