Unanswered: How-to change database's default dbspace

I've created a new database in Informix IDS9.30 without using the "IN <dbspace>" clause in the "CREATE DATABASE" statement. Hence, it caused all tables for this database being created into the rootdbs (the default dbspace) automatically. As the result, I have been forced to add more chunks onto rootdbs when my database growth.

Is there any methods to reset/modify the DATABASE's default dbspace (rootdbs) to other dbspace? FYI, due to my application limitation, I can't set the dbspace in each "CREATE TABLE" statement and have to reliant on the database's default dbspace. Any idea?

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Hi,

The only supported action is (I think) to dbexport (better to use the -ss option) the whole database and import it again with dbimport. dbimport has an option to specify the database default dbspace. Just do dbimport -- and it will show you the syntax.

Greetz,

RobP

But this doesn't solve the problem of creating additional tables with application when you have database created in rootdbs.

In IDS 8x(XPS) there was(still is?) onconfig parameter DEFAULT_DBSPACE but I don't know about something similar in IDS. It looks like you will have to use "IN" clause in the "CREATE TABLES" statement.

Hi,

When you dbimport the database, use -d <dbspace_name>. This will force the new tables to be created in dbspace_name if you do not specify the dbspace name in create table syntax.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Nitin

Cool

Remember to create the indexes in a different dbspace too!