Unanswered: Too many crosstab column headers

I'm using MS Access 2007. On some of my crosstab queries I get the message "too many crosstab column headers". It appears that access can only take about 390 (process of elimination). Is there a way around this? If I start with only 385 I'm okay. What do I/You do when your number increases?
    As I'm not a very good programmer I often times use this forum (from home thru Outlook newsgroups) to solve my problems. It's been very helpful.
    I appreciate your help on this matter as well.
    Thanks,
    Don.........

My first thought is that there is something that could be done with the design of the database or this report you are working on so you don't have so many columns. Getting paper wide enough to print that many columns will not be an easy task, let alone trying to read those columns in any way to would be useful.

Give some more detail as to what you are after and lets see what we can do.

too many crosstab column headers

Thanks for your quick reply.
    I'm tracking defects for work. I'd like to tally or sum different aspects. There are several different aspects; reason, cause, where, who, etc. In some cases I want to know the cost of the entire field and other times I want to know the number of occurrences.
    For instance;
    the total cost for all the reasons (there might be as many as 500 different reasons)
    but I also want to know;
    the number of times each reason occurred.
    It appears as though I'm okay with a crosstab query but if the total number of reasons is more than 390 I get the error message. I'm not really interested in the individual values in the crosstab query just the two things I've mentioned above.
    I know there must be a simple way to do this but I can't seem to come up with it. I'm not real proficient with Access, that's why I post here and get the answers I need to make my databases work.
    Thanks for your help,
    Don..........

I'm thinking that you could do a Summary query to get these numbers you need. Generally, the CrossTab query is used more for formatting. The summarization is the same for either the CrossTab or plain Summary queries. So, just summarize the data you want. I would help with more concrete ideas but you would need to give more details. For example, show what the layout of your table(s) is(are) and a little more detail on how you want the data summarized.