Thread: Numbering issue

Unanswered: Numbering issue

I have a numbering issue. I have a series of 6 questions that are answered on individual forms. I designed the 6 questions in a single table. When the user answers question 1 the auto number is 1, question 2 the auto number is 2, so on and so forth.

How can I make it that all the questions carry the same ID number so that they refer to the same record?

I don't want to put the 6 questions on 1 form.

Thanks
    ======================
    Levent
    Access 3

Provided Answers: 5
    I do not really understand the question - but what I think you are saying is that you have a table with 6 fields for the questions. If that Is the case have one field and the user choose from a combobox what the answer is. The datasource for the combobox is the field for the numbered answer.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 1
    The "number" of the record shouldn't matter. What does your table look like now, and what information do you need to store in it?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

The table structure is only 1 table with 6 question fields, Number field and emp field. However, because these are lenghtly questions I felt that it would be easier to answer the questions on individual forms rather than 1 form w/ subforms or tabs.

The problem that I am having is that once the first question is answered a number is generated. The 2nd question is answered another number is generated. I want to keep each question related to the same number.
    ======================
    Levent
    Access 3

Do you mean you want to have six forms update the same record? You can look into "OpenArgs" to open all five forms beyond your initial form to the same record. In that way, you will update the same record for each form. Is this what you mean?

Provided Answers: 10
    Are there only ever going to be 6 questions?

Can you tell us about the table design you have so far?
    George
    Home | Blog

Provided Answers: 5
    I did take into account about the 6 question ranking thing. I suggested a table for these and a combobox with its rowsource to this table to select thed ranking - with that they can always add to the table.
    Dale Houston, TX

Right now, the questions are 6 but it may be 10 or 11, eventually. It is for an employee evaluation form. The reason why I am approaching this with seperate forms is because the answers are maybe long and when the user clicks on the next button it will activate another question and will force them to answer.

My table design is simple
    Code:
     tblEval
    EvalID
    EmpID
    Q1
    Q2
    Q3
    Teddy, I think what you are suggesting may work.
    ======================
    Levent
    Access 3

If there will be a varying number of questions, you might want to reconsider your table design. For a bespoke project of this size, you may be ok, but generally speaking one would strive for a normalized database structure.

Provided Answers: 10
    Your structure isn't helping matters, that's for sure. Perhaps you should think about normalising your structure (as Teddy suggests (softly )**).

Anyhow, the way forward is to use unbound forms, with dynamic update statements on submit. I can picture it now...
    1. Find the "highest" question number answer by employee ABC
      Current question is therefore highest + 1.
    2. Lookup current question text from the questions table
    3. User fills in answer
    4. Question submitted
    5. Depending on how you chose to model your structure will depend on your solution here...
      • normalised - insert statement using ccurrent question number and employee identifier (and test identifier if ther are multiple tests/whatever you want to call them).
      • de-normalised - update employee record, set current question number answer = ...

**No pun intended
    George
    Home | Blog