Thread: DacEasy vs. NEO

Unanswered: DacEasy vs. NEO

Hi, we use an email organizational program called NEO (Nelson Email Organizer) that uses an old version of btrieve. We also use accounting software called DacEasy. We recently upgraded DacEasy from v9 to v15 and are now experiencing a conflict between v15 Pervasive engine (9.5) and NEO's old version of btrieve.

NEO uses W32mkde.exe
    DE v15 uses w3dbsmgr.exe

either of those processes needs to be stopped prior to running the other application. The problem is, we need to use both programs all day and it is very inconvenient to have to stop one to start the other. Is there any way to get them to live in harmony?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 4
    What happens if you rename the W32mkde.exe used by NEO and just use the W3DSBMGR.EXE as installed by DE?
    THe newer engine should be able to read and write to the old data files without any problem.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thanks Mirtheil for your response.

How would I go about renaming the file? I assume I would have to alter the registry to point NEO to the renamed executable?

Nope. Just rename the file in Explorer. NEO should automatically pick up the other version.
    Mirtheil Software

I tried this: I renamed the following files by adding an "x" to the end (from the Program Files folder under NEO):

w32mkde.exe
    w32mkrc.dll
    wbtrv32.dll

Now, I get an error that says,
    "Database error 20: The MKDE or Btrieve requestor is inactive
    File: NFL.dat, Session DbControl.

That is with w3dbsmgr.exe running. If it's not running, NEO loads fine and w32mkde.exe still runs (it still finds it!).

I found w32mkde.exe in the system32 folder and renamed it as well. Same DB error 20 as above if w3dbsmgr.exe is running - if it's not, NEO won't launch. It just starts to launch, then disappears.

So, Mirtheil, the re-naming didn't seem to work (if I did it correctly?). Any other ideas I should try?

Thanks

THat's odd. It should work. WHat happens if you start DacEasy and then try NEO?
    One more thing, make sure that the directory where W3DBSMGR.EXE resides is in the system path.
    Mirtheil Software

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil
    THat's odd. It should work. WHat happens if you start DacEasy and then try NEO?
    I get the db error 20.

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil
    One more thing, make sure that the directory where W3DBSMGR.EXE resides is in the system path.
    Not sure what this means?

I think it means that you want W3DBSMGR.EXE in the system32 folder? I tried that - no dice. I also copied it to the NEO program folder for a try and that did not work. What happens is this:

If DacEasy is open it gives this error:

I have tried restarting the computer several times which has not helped. It looks like, from the error message, that NEO has located W3DBSMGR.EXE and is trying to use it, but for some reason is coughing on it.

If DacEasy is closed and the W3DBSMGR.EXE process is no longer running, NEO attempts to open, then disappears and never launches.

Am I doing something wrong?

I made an entry in "Environmental Variables" under "System Variables"

Variable = Btrieve
    Value = C:\Windows\System32\W3dbsmgr.exe

I then put a copy of w3dbsmgr.exe in the system32 folder and restarted. This did not work.

Please let me know Merthiel if this is what you meant? Thanks.

No. You should add the directory where W3DBSMGR.EXE reside to the PATH environment variable.
    Mirtheil Software

I hate to sound like a complete ignoramus, but can you explain that to me like I was a 12 year old? I basically am when it comes to this stuff. I really appreciate your help.

When you say the path, do you mean it should look like the entry below (except, of course with the correct address for the pervasive folder which contains the executable)?

Well, thanks Mirthiel for all your help. I finally got it figured out today. Basically, there were 3 files that needed to be renamed in order for Neo to pick up the wd3dbsmgr.exe file.

If anyone else comes across this, this is how we fixed our problem:

1. In C:\WINDOWS\system32 change the name of the following 3 files (add x's or "old" or whatever)

wbtrv32.dll
    W32mkrc.dll
    w32mkde.exe

2. Make sure that those same 2 files are also misnamed in C:\Program Files\NEO Pro

3. Lastly, not sure if this step has to be done or not, but add the path to the pervasive folder (that holds the w3dbsmgr.exe file) to the "path" entry in "Environmental Variables". There are a number of different entries in there - I added mine to the end, no spaces and starting with a semi colon. Do not list the actual file name.

*In case you don't know (i didn't), to get to Environmental Variables you right click on My Computer, select Properties, then the Advanced tab.