Unanswered: SQL 2005 Cluster behavior - Re authenticate after moving resources...

On a SQL 2005 Cluster, when you move the SQL resources you generally have to kind of "reauthenticate". For example, in SSMS and after you have moved the SQL cluster resources, you run a query in SSMS and you get a connection failure. Run it again and it works.
    Does anyone else notice this? I am assuming it is because the resources are now on a differen't server. But then what's the purpose of the SQL virtual server name and instance? I thought when you authenticate to SQL it's to the virtual SQL server like so... VirtualServer\SQLInstance.
    Can someone straighten out my poor mangled mind?
    I'd like to avoid this reauthentication thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laoyang
    On a SQL 2005 Cluster, when you move the SQL resources you generally have to kind of "reauthenticate". For example, in SSMS and after you have moved the SQL cluster resources, you run a query in SSMS and you get a connection failure. Run it again and it works.
    Does anyone else notice this? I am assuming it is because the resources are now on a differen't server. But then what's the purpose of the SQL virtual server name and instance? I thought when you authenticate to SQL it's to the virtual SQL server like so... VirtualServer\SQLInstance.
    Can someone straighten out my poor mangled mind?
    I'd like to avoid this reauthentication thing.

Thanks
    When you say move the SQL Cluster Resources, I have to assume that you mean you are using the Cluster Manager MMC and you are right-clicking and selecting "Move" on the resource group.

What you are actually doing is stopping and restarting the SQL Server Service. You have to re-authenticate because all client connections to the SQL Server Service are broken during the shutdown phase. They are not automatically re-opened during startup (this is why cluster-aware applications have to be written with a good deal of care).

Don't think of "moving" the SQL Cluster Resource as a "normal" operation. Think of it as stopping an restarting the SQL Server service, 'cause that's really what you're doing.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I know your thought process. I went through the same thing. I thought highly available meant that the sql instance is always up as long as one of the nodes is up. Not true. A failover causes a stop and restart, as hmscott said. So all connections are closed as the service comes down on one box and starts on another.