Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Unanswered: Advantages and disadvantages of Oracle

Hello,

I should project a database and don't know which DBMS should I use to have flexible and secure database.

I have not worked with databases before and I don't know the advantages and disadvantages of Oracle, Adabas and SQL.

Would anybody provide any link, reference to get to know which of them I can use to have more secure database.

Thanks in advance,
    Verona.

Provided Answers: 4
    I should project a database
    and
    I have not worked with databases before
    are just too contradictory.

What do you call a "secure database"? Which conditions should that DBMS meet in order to satisfy your requirements?

Wink Secure database

I mean the same as everybody saying "secure database". The database contents should be unreachable for the person who is not database user but uses the local computer and the information cannot be caught through network.

What do you want to do. What will you use at your project (asp.net,c#...) and so on. If you say it clearly we can help you. Secure database is not the choice. All the databases must be secure.

Thumbs up Detailed requirements to database

I should create database with WEB interface. The connection between server and clients should be very secure. The replication should be implemented.
    The costumer needs to keep database log. It should be impossible to change database log.

What can you advice. Which DBMS is more convenient?

I have read that Oracle does not support transactions. Is it right?

Where can I find the Firebird bugs. As it is open source and I think it should have bugs.

Please, advice.

Verona.

Thumbs up Detailed requirements to database

I should create database with WEB interface. The connection between server and clients should be very secure. The replication should be implemented.
    The costumer needs to keep database log. It should be impossible to change database log.

What can you advice. Which DBMS is more convenient?

I have read that Oracle does not support transactions. Is it right?

Where can I find the Firebird bugs. As it is open source and I think it should have bugs.

Please, advice.

Verona.

Hi,

>I have read that Oracle does not support transactions. Is it right?

It's not really true, to say the least.

>Which DBMS is more convenient?

"Convenient" is not the right term in my opinion. Your budget, end-user requirements, etc etc will probably play an important role when choosing
    the product.
    On a side note, when you talk about WEB insterface and security, it's (at least partly) for the client application to guaranty the security too, right?

Thumbs up WEB and security

We need to have WEB site, it should have registered users who should be able to see, update db informations. But db information is confidential.

But each DBMS has its limitations. Which of them is better. Please not that I have not worked with db before.

thanks,
    Verona.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    http://www.mysql.com
    & the post follow up questions in the MYSQL forum
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

I'd say your question is too general. I prefer Oracle over SQL Server, but the only reason why is because that's where my experience lies. I wouldn't think that either product is stronger in the area of security, since that's a configurable aspect of both via roles and user accts.

Why don't you call an Oracle & Microsoft sales rep and have them both give you a Webinar on their products top features. If you're planning on going for something free (MySQL etc) I couldn't help you there.

---=cf

1. Oracle has many advanced functions such as Real Cluster, Flush back recovery, ... (this going to be a long list).
    2. Oracle DBA and developper cost higher to hire and train. Oracle price is higher and charge you 22% support/maintaince every year.
    3. For very complicated store procedure, Oracle runs faster.
    4. Oracle runs on many platform. SQL Server only runs on Windows.
    5. If you have a big database needs running on powerful Unix or IBM server, with complicated application. Oracle is a good choice.
    6. If your project is low in budget, users don't want to wait and no existing Oracle skill in house then don't try Oracle.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by D. Wong
    1. Oracle has many advanced functions such as Real Cluster, Flush back recovery, ... (this going to be a long list).
    2. Oracle DBA and developper cost higher to hire and train. Oracle price is higher and charge you 22% support/maintaince every year.
    3. For very complicated store procedure, Oracle runs faster.
    4. Oracle runs on many platform. SQL Server only runs on Windows.
    5. If you have a big database needs running on powerful Unix or IBM server, with complicated application. Oracle is a good choice.
    6. If your project is low in budget, users don't want to wait and no existing Oracle skill in house then don't try Oracle.
    Thank you,
    Verona.

Thumbs up How add new user in Oracle?

I have downloaded Oracle from its web site.
    It seems it is free
    Am I right?

Now I need to connect it. I have opened sql+ and it requires username and password.
    How can I connect as administrator?

I have entered admin, root, administrator and password which was entered during installation but connection refused.

Who is the root?

What is Service?

I work on Windows.

Thanks in advance,
    Verona.

What version did you download? Also, most versions of Oracle are free for evaluation or development, but NOT for production use.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    What version did you download? Also, most versions of Oracle are free for evaluation or development, but NOT for production use.
    Oracle 9.2.0.1.0

Would you explain, what is Service?
    Does not Oracle understand "IF NOT EXISTS" statement?

Thanks,
    Verona.