Unanswered: Access Not Inserting Letters w/Accents Properly
Hi. I'm having issue with Access not inserting letters with accents properly. Basically the foreign letters of a, e, i, o, u with the dash over it.
Details -> I have a ColdFusion application running that brings in an XML file -> the xml data is put into a variable -> code strips out the unwanted data -> the XML gets parsed -> then the resulting data, by means of ColdFusion code, gets inserted into access database in the proper columns.
Now, everything works fine. I even dumped the variable out before and after the XML parse just to see if the foreign letters were still there.... and they were. Perfect. However, the insert is where there is an issue. When you look in the database the foreign characters look like little boxes. Kinda like Access didn't understand what they were and put a symbol in each of their places. (I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT ANY OTHER CHARACTERS OTHER THAN THE ONES I MENTIONED ABOVE)
So how do I go about getting my a, e, i, o, u characters with the dash over them inserted as they are?
I believe you are dealing with a font issue, not as such an Access issue. Find a font where these letters will display as you want, then use that font when the field(s) with these characters are to be displayed. To do that for a table (and I really hope you are NOT using a table to display these values to users) use the Format menu, Font option.
I checked, and the Font is not the issue. This is actually quite complicated. I had a DBA down here at my desk yesterday and he couldn't figure it out... he thought it might because of the Memo data type. That was wrong and it's not the Font either. 15 minutes before I left yesterday around 4:45 PM I figured it out. I re-read the view source of the incoming XML document and found the ASCII codes for the foreign letters (which of course did nothing for me originally) and decided I could use a CFSET tag and actually get the ASCII code for the '&' and for the '#' sign, put them together, add the number and then the semicolon and all of that combined into a single variable and use a CF function called REREPLACENOCASE and replace that variable with the corresponding English letter. Then repeat all that for each letter. Whew! But, being "The Man" I figured it all out with ColdFusion. Access can kiss my butt, by the way.