Unanswered: How do I create an Oracle 10g offsite backup

Total size of the datafiles that make up the tablespaces of the DB = 1532121.6875 Mb

I used the following query to determine the above size:
    Code:
    SELECT sum(bytes/1048576) FROM dba_extents;

I saw this question poseted on another site

QUESTION POSED ON: 15 August 2007
    I recently handled a project whereby we have many site servers at various places in our country and there is a central server in Delhi (India). My project is to take a backup of the local server and post that backup to the central server via Internet. I chose the RMAN (Recovery Manager) approach. Using that approach I can back up the database and connect to the remote database. But I can't find how to post the backup to the remote server. Please give me guidance regarding this project.
    [/qoute]

This was the answer:
    [qoute]
    EXPERT RESPONSE
    Basically, there are two options to have RMAN back up to a remote server. One, back up locally and then FTP the backup to the remote server. Two, create a network file share from the database server to the remote server. Have RMAN back up to the network file share. It will think the file system is local, but in actuality, the file system is in another location.

Currently a level 1 incremental backup is done at 10:00PM every night to the array. I am intrested in in doing a full hot offsitebackup of the DB to a disk on another server.

Can anyone tell me how would I be able to do this using RMAN and/or backing locally and then FTP'ing the backup to a remote sever.

Can anyone also confirm if the calculation for the size of the DB is accurate?
    ( I did the calculations based on what I saw at this site and this site)

I would like to do this in preperation for some HW that our Sun support would like to do on the array, possibly I would like to implement a script (or use RMAN) to do a nightly,weekly or monthly offsite backup.

I would really appreciate any help.

MY CURRENT RMAN CONFIGS
    Code:
    using target database control file instead of recovery catalog                 
    RMAN configuration parameters are:                                             
    CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1;                                    
    CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default                                   
    CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default                               
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;                                           
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; # default
    CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 2 BACKUP TYPE TO BACKUPSET;             
    CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default          
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default        
    CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default                                   
    CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default                               
    CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default                             
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default                        
    CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO '/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/dbs/snapcf_MYSID.f'; # default

########################################

I am using the following software/hardware :

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bi
    PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production
    CORE 10.2.0.3.0 Production
    TNS for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.3.0 - Production
    Recovery Manager: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production

SunOS myserver 5.9 Generic_118558-34 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12

SunFire E2900 Server with Sun Storage Tek 6140

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    What is the available network bandwidth between you & the remote site?
    About how long will it take to move that many bytes across the wire?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

There would exist a Gigabit Ethernet connection between me and the remote server. (sorry for taking so long to reply)

Also, if I am to implement a routine script to do this I would need to take into consideration that the DB may possibly grow to 6-7 terabytes.

If I am to do a "one-off" backup (just to facilitate maintenance work) what files would I need to copy to the remote server, and how would I go about restoring if that becomes necessary?

Ultimately though, I am looking for a cost-effective, off-the shelf method of doing this offsite-backup, I am open to any ideas/suggestions. Ideally I will need to do hot-backups as this is a production box, downtime is not really acceptable.

Currently I notice that the RMAN incremental level-1 backups (that run nightly) only take about an hour. How would I be able to off-load the/an initial level-0 backup to my remote server and then have the incremental level-1 backups also transfered to the remote server nightly?

Again....I am open to ideas/suggestions.
    Last edited by bluwulf; 11-07-07 at 01:06.