Unanswered: Unable to start the Listener in window 2003 server

Hi,

I have successfully installed the oracle 10g release 1 in windows 2003 server in sp2 machine. I have sucessfully created the test database.

Now I am trying to connect this database from client machine . I am getting NO listener, SO I just check whether listener service is up and running in windows contorl panel services window. I am wondering the ORACLETNSLISTENER service was not in the list , but I am able to see the database instance service.

So I plan to start the listener manually using LSNRCTL , First I have checked the status using LSRNCT STATUS I am getting the following error message

LSNRCTL> status
    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC)) )
    TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
    TNS-12560: TNSrotocol adapter error
    TNS-00511: No listener
    32-bit Windows Error: 2: No such file or directory
    Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=dalab30n ok.devlab.nokia.
    com)(PORT=1521)))
    TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
    TNS-00511: No listener
    32-bit Windows Error: 61: Unknown error
    LSNRCTL>

SO I try to start the listener I am getting the following error message

C:\Documents and Settings\_admin>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.1.0.2.0 - Production on 07-NOV-2007 09:08
    :44

Copyright (c) 1991, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

TNS-00530: Protocol adapter error

How can I over come this error. ?? Kindly advice me how can I proceed. Because of this problem I am unable to proceed to put my development objects in this machine. I have re-install the oracle software still I am getting this problem.

Thanks,
    Nat

Cool Unable to start the Listener in window 2003

http://www.oracle.com/global/cz/solu...df/2daydba.pdf

This is what I found on the oracle site. It explain it all pretty well, From what you listed in your procedures it looks pretty good. I would have done the same thing except starting the listener from the control panel. It should start aumatically.

Hi ,

Thanks for you timely suggesstion. But I have already installed the oracle 10g release 1 and created database based on the installation guide only.

Since the software is not installing / registring the listener service automatically in the windows I have started the listener service manually . Thats why I have used LSNRCTL . Now I m stuck in the middle, I m unable to proceed my development work bcoz of this......

if you have any other suggesstions kindly post ..

Thanks,
    nat

Have you tried running Oracle's Net Configuration Assistant and let it create the listener for you ??? If will load it as a service for you

Hi,

I ran the net config assistant , try to add ,reconfigure, re-created ... but no luck.

Still I am getting the same error. TNS-12560 Protocol adaptor error., I am wondering how the installation is not creating the default Listener service
    ..I have checked the firewall either

Nat

do you now see the service (listener) ... in the control panel / admin tools / services ???

If so ... is it started ???

Do you have the listener.ora file configured properly ?

oracle_home\network\admin

Red face

No still I am not able to see the Listener service in the windows->service panel window.

But I have created windows serivce my own for TNSLSNR.exe file using windows resource kit, NOw I am able to see the service in the windows->service panel , but but when start the service it is starting and automatically stopped....

Is there a log file anywhere ??? ie, C:\Oracle10\NETWORK\log ....
    Do you have the environment variable PATH setup correctly?
    Also look in the EVENT VIEWER to see what errors are being returned
    from trying to start your listener

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable suggesstion and your time.

Now I have created the Oracle Listener in the windows service panel it is up and running perfectly.

Steps followed:

Using Microsoft resource tool kit Created the Service name exactly as oracle giving like OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener and called the TNSLSNR.exe with command line parameter of the LISTENER (my Listener ora file name).
    then start the service , now perfect.

Thanks,
    Nat