Thread: Error 17 MSDE

Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: Error 17 MSDE

I have been developing some code to auto create workstation dsn's for some front-ends - Seems to work great if the sql server is a true SQL Server.

But anywhere I have MSDE as the server I am getting error 17

Now I installed the msde NOT as an instance but using the (local) as the server name.

If I step through creating the DSN I actually can see the msde sql server in the combo box to choose server - but still getting error 17

Am I to understand that I may have to create the same Login user on as the name of the user that installed the msde?

This is happenning on peer-to-peer so not on any any windows server / SQL Server 2k and higher - just msde engines

Any Ideas? Ok Geo - give me the answer
    Dale Houston, TX

Dale,

I'm pretty sure this isn't the solution to your problem but I did have some DSN problems once and there is a registry value I had to reset in order for the DSN's to re-sync. Here's what I got from a friend to help me reset the DSN (something to keep handy).

"Yes, I believe the issue was if the following Default key in the following location had a value - even a blank value - it would cause this problem.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\ODBC Data Sources

So if you delete the Default key, the value should be (value not set)."
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

PK - is that setting for the machine with MSDE or the workstations?
    Dale Houston, TX

I cannot delete that key but for the value it reads (value not set)
    Dale Houston, TX

It was something a buddy of mine showed me because the DSN listing didn't accurately show the DSN names I had on my machine. It probably isn't going to help with your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case you ever need it (and your DSN list doesn't refresh). Personally I think it was due to installing vb on my machine as I had problems with my DSN listing after I installed vb. Sorry I can't be of more help with your situation and error 17.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)