Unanswered: Need advice on tables/relationships...

StudyID
    StudyName

Site
    PhysicianLN

AuditorID
    AuditorLN

PatientID
    PatientInitials

DeviationID
    Deviation

The above fields are in a spreadsheet (there are additional fields, I dummied it down) and I need to create a database from it. How would you create the tables & relationships? I have the tables built, but I wanted to get some opinions. I will post what I have if interested, though I'm a little embarrassed by it (and it's not quite complete).

General Rules & Info:
    There will be multiple studies
    There will be multiple sites per study – There can’t be two Site #2s in study ABC, however there can be a Site #2 in studies ABC & XYZ.
    There will be multiple auditors per site.
    There will be multiple patients per site – Like the sites above, can’t have the same ID in the same study/site but the ID could be used in multiple studies.
    There will be multiple deviations per Patient – Need to keep track of the site, patient, the deviation, and the auditor who entered the deviation in.

looks good so far

now you need some relationship tables

SiteStudies
    Site
    StudyID

SiteAuditors
    Site
    AuditorID

SitePatients
    StudyID
    Site
    PatientID

PatientDeviations
    PatientID
    DeviationID
    Site
    AuditorID
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks for replying! I follow the cross-reference tables you've listed, however what would the key field be in the sites table (for example)? Since there could be a Site 002 in study ABC and site 002 in XYZ, I can't use use Site. Don't I need to add the StudyID directly to the Site table vs. creating a cross-reference table?

Thanks again!

the primary keys are underlined

relationship tables typically have two columns, each of which is a foreign key, and which together form a composite primary key
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Thanks, I didn't notice the underlines. However I still have a question about the sites table.

SiteStudies above is a cross-reference between tblSites & tblStudies, correct? If so, what would the primary key in tblSites be? It can't just be Site b/c there could be two different 002s sites (with different Physicians)? I may not have made that clear enough. For example, Study ABC could have Site 002 with PhysicianLN="Smith" whereas Study XYZ could have Site 002 with PhysicianLN="Thomas" (two totally different sites). B/C of this, I need another field in the key to define the difference.

I could create an autonumber field and use that as the key, but that wouldn't help with keeping duplicates out (entering Site 002, LN="Smith" twice for a study). I'm not a huge fan of autonumbers...

Thanks r937!! You've been very helpful!

that is correct, you did not make it clear enough

well, you seem to have grasped the essential concept

just remember, you should do all relationships without using an autoincrement column

of course, autoincrement columns might in fact be used, for example for the PatientID in the Patients table, but they should not (very strong emphasis) be used for relationship tables
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Sorry about that...there are so many rules with this puppy, it's really hard to explain in writing.

Thanks again for the help!