Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    64

    Unanswered: Database Splitting problem

    I'm using Access 2003. Here's a frustrating problem for me. Briefly, the situation is this: I have a database I set up which has been working successfully for several months. As it was only me who needed to use it, it just lived on my U drive (my personal area on the server) in "unsplitted" form. This week, my boss gave me another person to assist me and, because she needs to use the database, I splitted it into BE and FE and put the BE on the W drive (the shared area), using the Database Splitter wizard. The FEs still live on our U drives. So far so good. However, when attempting to "Filter by Form", instead of getting the choices in the drop-down box, my assistant is getting 2 choices which are "Is Null" and "Is Not Null". When I tried it on my version I got the same result. Being able to filter the data is essential to how we use the database so it's pretty useless now. Can anyone help with a solution? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    what is populating the drop down?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    64
    It's populating from the results of a simple SELECT query. I've just had a thought, though. Does a query automatically know that it has to find its source table from the BE database after the split? I'm wondering if that could be the problem, but if it is, I'm not sure how to solve it (being self-taught on Access there are lots of subtleties I don't know about!)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    If you check your Tools>Database Utilities>Linked Table Manager. Make sure the tables you are pulling from are in there and make sure the path is right. Chances are that it is linked correctly.
    If you open the query directly from the database window, does it give you a result? Is is possible that you made some other change to this query in the recent past and it's not actually related to the split.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    64
    Thanks for your replies, starkmann.
    Here are the answers to the questions:

    1) The tables appear to be linked correctly according to the Linked Table Manager.
    2) If I open the query from the database window I do get a result.
    3) I haven't made any recent changes to the query design. The problem has only occured since running the split database wizard.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    348
    It seems like an error in the way your drop down box is calling the query results. I can't say a whole lot more than that without seeing anything. Perhaps someone on the board can tell you exactly what the issue is.
    I might try doing the combo box again, I wouldn't delete the old one until you have success though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    64
    OK I'll try that - thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    3,926
    As a note, I've had several issues with data being returned and other problems with an mdb when the frontend/backend resided on personal networked drives (especially when Linux or another non-Microsoft server was involved on the networking side) (and especially split-frontend/backends). If a daisy chain network was involved in the process, some comboboxes I had would not return the full data set. I'm not sure if your U drive is totally Microsoft or has a non-Microsoft backend but it's something to consider. I had better luck putting both the backend and frontend on my local c: drive or another public networked drive.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-09-07 at 11:43.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    64
    I still don't seem to be able to sort this one out I'm afraid. Following starkmann's advice I tried re-doing the form from scratch (it's a main form with a subform populated by a query). It worked fine until I used the database splitter wizard to create a BE, and then I got exactly the same problem as before. pkstormy - as far as I am aware the U drive is microsoft only. I don't think there are any other publicly accessible drives on our system here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    3,926
    Try manually linking in the tables versus using the database splitter wizard. To manually do it:

    1. Create a new *.mdb file.
    2. Import all the tables/relationships into the new mdb.
    (or copy the old one, rename, then delete all the forms, queries, reports, etc...).
    3. Get into the interface mdb. Select File -> Get External Data -> Link Tables. Navigate to the mdb and select all the tables.

    Are you sure the filtering problem is a result of using the database splitter wizard? Did it work before you split the database?

    Also make sure you're directory names don't have spaces, etc. This could be a cause for why it might work before and not after you split the database.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-12-07 at 12:41.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, UK
    Posts
    64
    Thanks - not using the splitter wizard and doing it manually seemed to do the trick! Just one of those things I suppose, as I've used the wizard to split other databases in the past and not had the same problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •