Unanswered: Disable direct data entry into table?

How do i disable direct data entry into table?

Protect the tables. If you are the interface developer, the forms should be designed to avoid allowing the user to bypass them and get directly to the tables. There are several ways to do this but I like to make an mde combined with setting certain form features and coding the interface so a user can't get behind the forms. See some of the different examples. There are a few in the codebank.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

how do u search the code bank?

There are 4 pages to the code bank (click on the MSAccess Code Bank - the first thread in this section.) The getuser routine is one I made which has 1 method of utilizing popup/modal forms and a "background" form to prevent the user from closing the main form and getting behind the scenes. You can get more involved where you do stuff like hiding the tables from view (in the options -> startup) or you can also hide each table individually (right-click on the table -> properties). You can even disable the bypass of holding down the shift key (although I wouldn't recommend it unless you have users which know the shift key trick and if they are using it, I'd ask them why.)
    The properties of the form play a big part on letting your users close the form and get behind the scenes. For example, setting the form's "Shortcut Menu" to no doesn't allow you to right-click on a form and then select Design view (and then close the form to get to the tables).

If you create an mde though, you don't have to worry about some of these properties as an mde file doesn't let you get into design mode. Then all you have to worry about is not having any forms which close and show the tables. I like a background form as an added "layer" of making it difficult for the user's to easily see the tables. Here's an example from the code bank: http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=20 (see the new version which shows you how to programmatically hide/unhide tables and the database window.)

If you do go the mde route, you'll need to split the database and have the frontend interface with linked tables pointing to a common backend MSAccess file with the data tables.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 11-12-07 at 12:36.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Great thank you