Unanswered: Installing Problems

Hello people.

(I am Italian and I have a Windows XP in Italian Language).
    Time ago I installed the PostgrSQL (postgresql-8.2.msi) on my PC, but a few time later I decided to Uninstalled it because I did not how to use it.
    Now I have decided to reinstall it again, but doing so, during the installation process, a message appears telling that a postgres accoung is already existing. The setup process is rolled back again and the installation fails.
    Then I have remove that account by using the tools of administration (Computer Management >> Local Users...).
    But starting the setup again, a new message appears saying something like "no mapping between account names and protection ID" (this is an approx translation from the italian message i I read). One more time the setup process is rolled back and the installation fails.
    Frankly I don't know what to do.
    Have you an idea about?
    Thank You for yr assistance.
    Best Regards

TdP

ok, I have never installed postgres on windows so this probably won't help much :P

I imagine the installation itself would be listed under Control Panel > Add/Remove Software. Sorry if this was a stupid response, but I am just making sure

If there some left behind parts of the install that is preventing new installs then you could go to Start > Run > regedit and do a SEARCH through there. I wouldn't recommend changing anything until you looked into it in more detail. I once had to clear stuff out of the registry to get another program to install

hmm.. I looked here and I am guessing you are having the same problem as one of the last comments: http://port25.technet.com/archive/20...-a-primer.aspx

So the only question I can think to ask is: did you just delete the profile or did you actually remove the postgres user that was set up?

bah.. good luck! Someone will probably come along that actually knows something hehe.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe

I removed the postgres account from local users.

ahh ok, so the list of local users. I am unsure of how reliable that is, but I have not tested it. I would think it would be enough.

I have one final check for you to see if the account is removed completely. (just to be absolutely certain).

Goto: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Local Users & Groups (expand this) > Users

Look through the user list on the right and make sure all references to a postgres user are gone.

If nothing is there... well I am confused Good luck!

edit: This may be exactly what you did, but I am unsure at this point since there are multiple ways of 'removing' a user I am just trying to make sure.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe