Unanswered: Advice on Cleaning Member Address Data

If I get monthly updates on member addresses that consist of several million records what are the best methods to verify the data? For example, if a user updated a member record to 1234 Blanket Street, Acity, Astate, 12345 is there a master database of addresses I can use to compare different parts of the address? In such a case I can run queries verifying valid street number values, valid street names compared to a zip code, valid zip codes compared to street names, etc, etc. I am thinking of creating a script that I would run monthly as I get updates to check all this. Does anyone know of any good third party software for this type of situation? Also would it benefit us if we request for weekly updates as opposed to monthly? Any suggestions?

ddave

Advice on Cleaning Member Address Data

If I get monthly updates on member addresses that consist of several million records what are the best methods to verify the data? For example, if a user updated a member record to 1234 Blanket Street, Acity, Astate, 12345 is there a master database of addresses I can use to compare different parts of the address? In such a case I can run queries verifying valid street number values, valid street names compared to a zip code, valid zip codes compared to street names, etc, etc. I am thinking of creating a script that I would run monthly as I get updates to check all this. Does anyone know of any good third party software for this type of situation? Also would it benefit us if we request for weekly updates as opposed to monthly? Any suggestions?

ddave

Check the USPS web site. they have a product for sale (not sure if monthly or quarterly) that list all valid zip codes and street addresses in the US.

Look here: http://www.usps.com/business/address...age=addressver

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Defo agreed. We use a UK based supplier obviously - you would not want to roll your own for this unless you are serious about making it a commercial product in a very competative market.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    I guess I need another cup of coffee.
    Please highlight the part of the problem that involves Oracle.

http://www.businessobjects.com/products/postalsoft/
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

It's on an Oracle database but it is more of a conceptual question. Are those allowed here? :-).

ddave

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Such a "conceptual" problem would be the same for DB2, MYSQL, SQL Server, etc.
    Why not post in all those forums too?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Well I did post it on SQL Server's forum but my first inclination was to Oracle since the data resides on Oracle. In regards to any third party software I wasn't sure if anyone knew of any specific to Oracle as well.

ddave

threads merged
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL