Unanswered: ftp from a stored procedure in ASE 12.5.2/12.5.3

Hi All,

The scenario is that i'd like to ftp a bcp'd text file from within a stored procedure to another machine. Is it possible in ASE 12.5.2/12.5.3?

Thanks in advance

M

Quote Originally Posted by mxt
    Hi All,

The scenario is that i'd like to ftp a bcp'd text file from within a stored procedure to another machine. Is it possible in ASE 12.5.2/12.5.3?

Thanks in advance

M
    Theres a lot of conflicts in ur statement. U cant bcp from a stored proc... Please explain exactly what you have achieved and the error messages coming out of it OR if you dont know what to do, explain what you want to do and forum members may be able to help you.

As far as bcping out from 12.5.2 and bcping in 12.5.3, I dont think you should face any problems.

I think we can do/execute the BCP command from within stored procedure,
    using "xp_cmdshell" command which will go on the command line & execute the command. through which we can run BCP to transfer the data.
    But could u please figure out the pros & cons in this processs, if u have any idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rupeshs
    I think we can do/execute the BCP command from within stored procedure,
    using "xp_cmdshell" command which will go on the command line & execute the command. through which we can run BCP to transfer the data.
    But could u please figure out the pros & cons in this processs, if u have any idea.
    xp_cmdshell can be used to do minor OS level commands. But to write a full-fledged program and control it thro a stored procedure may be a bit too much. But its doable, but you wont have the flexibility of using a programming language like perl or unix, I think.