Unanswered: Online backup / Offline backup

My company bought a new server for DB2. I'm tring to migrate database from the old server to the new server.

I've finished DB2 installation. After installing the application system, I'm going to do offline backup and restore it to the new server. Then, I'm going to test database/application from some desktops. If everything is OK, I'll move the new server to the rack.

Since test needs time/I also need some buffer time/production enviroment cannot put down for half day, I'll have to do the second backup/restore. I'm wondering which type of backup I should go with, offline or online?

Any suggestion for db2 migration welcome.

Thank you

Joanne

Provided Answers: 5
    To setup the test system:

1) Perform an online backup of you production system. Be sure to INCLUDE LOGS.
    2) Restore the backup image to you new server. Be sure to use the LOGTARGET clause.
    3) ROLLFORWARD the newly restored DB
    a) copy the logs from step 2 to the active log directory of the DB
    b) execute "ROLLFORWARD DB MyDB COMPLETE". This will either work or give you the minimum time to rollforward.
    c) if you got the minimum time do: "ROLLFORWARD DB MyDB to <timestamp in b> AND COMPLETE"

You should have a workable DB, and no outages.

Andy

Provided Answers: 5
    I forgot. You will still want to to the offline backup and restore when you go live with the new server.

Andy