Unanswered: SQL 32bit DB to a SQL x64bit DB Server

I am going to test the migration of a 32bit SQL 2005 database to a SQL 2005 x64bit database server. Has anyone tried this? What can I expect? Will it work? Is there anythi I need to do?

I was just going to detach the 32bit DB, copy yhe files to the 64 bit server and reattach it.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    I have had no problems doing this. The 64-bit features mainly affect how SQL Server treats memory, and has no effect on how a database is stored on disk. I have even taken databases from 64-bit SQL Servers and successfully restored them to 32-bit SQL Servers.

I have done this, didn't really face any major problems.

if there are any DSN's set up make sure they are replicated in the 32bit odbc admnistrator as opposed to the 64bit odbc administrator (yes there are two).

Also if you have and DTS or whatever referncing data on Oracle then you may have problems with the PorgramFiles(x86) folder, but there is a workaround for this.

Attach your databases and give it a whirl

Yo said you did a "Restore" on them. How bout if you just did a file copy of the .mdf an .ldf onto the 64bit environment?

Personally I always think its better to do backup and restore rather than detach - copy - attach.

But hey thats just me

Provided Answers: 11
    I prefer backup/restore as well. Nothing like having a fallback position ;-).

I have also detached and attached dataabses from 32-bit to 64-bit. You can try this yourself with a dummy database. Create a database, put a table in it, detach, re-attach, and see what happens.

OK, Thanks everyone.
    I appreciate the replies.