Question Unanswered: Newbie asking for advice

Hi all, I want to make a relatively small-medium database for a store that specialized in selling relatively few items (under 100) for lots of different customers. What I want is just to make a record of customers purchased history and do receipt printing for customer for every transaction in the shop. I want 100% (or close to it) free solution for this. I choose postgreSQL since I heard it is quite powerful and hopefully it will deliver if I ever need to expand the system. Anyone can offer advice?

I am currently looking to using linux, apache, and PHP for this. I will develop using windows box and deploys in linux. Am I going to the right direction? My main requirement is to provide customers receipt (using a dot matrix printer), and provide customer's purchase history. There will be some (2-3) client that input data into the dbms (client server). Are there any easier option that provide faster development? I have some experience in oracle and form/report development and little java but never use PHP, Perl, etc.

Thanks all for the suggestion.

hmmm.. I guess your question isn't really about postgresql necessarily.

First I would ask, what is the time span you -want- to finish this in?

Also, there are Point-of-sale systems out there. They do cost money, but it might be worth it compared to development costs.

As far as what technology to use for the application (web, app) you should just look at what you are going to use for hardware and how the users will interact with it and just try to see what works best. You could create some little test applications using the test techs and see how well they work.

Ive never built a system like that so I can't offer better advice.

hehe, you could do a db backend and access front end. or use some other RAD (rapid application development) stuff. I have never done this, but if you are interested in speed then you can look into it.
    Vi veri veniversum vivus vici
    By the power of truth, I, a living man, have conquered the universe

I don't think you'll go wrong with PostgreSQL. Esp. if you're somewhat familiar with Oracle. Its performance can exceed MySQL's as the number of concurrent users increase.

A good reference is PostgreSQL, by Douglas & Douglas (2nd edition)

I've never tried setting up a web storefront. Have you googled using "web storefront" and Postgresql as the search terms?

Here's an interesting article from a few years ago...

http://www.mainsoft.com/news/articles/LWM_Aug2005.pdf
    Last edited by loquin; 11-19-07 at 13:05.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Thanks guys for answering. Well my main worries is cost saving as I also don't get paid for this project. I just want to learn something new. Oracle also seems to be advertising a lot in webfront environment lately. I want to be able to do it within a month or so in my spare time.

This project will be used in-store only at the moment with 2-3 concurrent user querying for item price/stock, printing receipt, inputting new client/transaction, printing report on customer history transaction (profiling), etc. However I do hope this technique can be used in web storefront so I learn something new. The store would like to use open source as much as possible. They don't need fancy system/UI.

I have no idea where should I put this question. I supposed I can ask it in PHP, Perl, forum but I will be then cross posting. I have decided that I would use PostgreSQL so I ask here.

I don't know which code should I use. So If I may rephrase the question is "What is the best code to use with Postgree for this 'web storefront'-like project". What I aim is cost, easy/time to deploy, and most compatible with Postgree (easy to do connection, etc). Thanks again, I hope someone can help me.
    Last edited by hanugro; 11-19-07 at 20:51.

If you've decided on the database, then the next step is the db design/app design.

I'm CERTAINLY not the right person to ask about PHP. If you like, I can move this thread to the PHP forum for more appropriate feedback...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

Thanks for your trouble. I think you may move this thread if you think necessary. Trouble is, even though I have decided I will use Postgre, I am still not sure about the UI/mid-tier design/app.

The reason I mention PHP is because it seems very popular right now.

PHP is popular, but it also notorious for allowing developers with little experience to create bad applications
    I'm assuming that you have a good understand of the basics of programming (in another language), and thus you shouldn't have a problem picking up PHP quickly. It's just a case of learning the syntax.
    The one thing you're going to have to overcome with PHP is the lack of state. However if you are familiar with JSP I would recommend going down that route as your Java will DEFINITELY help you there.

Thanks but my Java experience is quite basic and most of them is J2ME. I will look into it.