Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13

    Unanswered: Oracle 8.0.3 versus 10.2.0 Library Names

    Hello,

    I have the unfortunate task of rebuilding an application that was initially built using Oracle 8.0.3. They have now installed Oracle 10.2.0 and I must rebuild against this version. As you can probably guess, the library names have either changed or the library no longer exists.

    For example, I changed -lsql to -lsql10. However I can't find some libraries at all. For example, -lnetwork, or -lnetv2 and so on.

    Please, can someone point me in the right direction? How should I proceed? Thank you very much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Posts
    7,776
    Provided Answers: 1
    I don't know for sure, but I'd try the following:
    ls -l *net*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 14004 Feb 4 2006 libnnet10.a
    -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 14004 Feb 4 2006 libnnetd10.a
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    27
    Can you let us know a bit more about the application ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Oops! I'm sorry Peter, I forgot to mention the necessaries. It is a C application that we are trying to "prove" will migrate from AIX 4.3.3.0, DB2 V7, Oracle V8.0.3 to AIX 5.3.0.0, DB2 V8, Oracle 10.2.0.

    DB2 is just cake, I love it. It's always just -ldb2.

    I know it's a quantum leap in versions, but I have to try. What I'm going to try today is to backup the make file and then change the Oracle lib statement to include all the 10.2.0 libraries and then see if I get any unresolved symbols at link time.

    Thanks...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Yipee.... I modifiled the make file and dumped all the Oracle libraries and replaced it with all of the ../lib32/lib*.a libraries. It built!

    BUT, the binary is 19.5 Mb. I am presuming that it statically linked the libraries. What incantation do I use to dynamically link the lib raries?

    Thanks...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Sorry about the smiley face.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    OK, I got it. What I did was linked in all of the ../lib32/lib*.a libraries and this gave me a 19.5 MB binary. So what I did was, one by one I removed a library from the link step and recompiled. If it built, fine. If not I put that library back in and moved on to the next one.

    What I wound up with is a situation where I only need to link in 8 libraries and the resulting binary went from 19.5 MG to 26 Kb.

    Thank you very much...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    27
    Thanks for let us know the solution path !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •