Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of-line client

Question Unanswered: Of-line client

Can anybody tell?

How it is possible to have of-line client using Oracle.
    Does it have any embedded applications to cash database or smth like this?

Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by offline client. Would this be a client which allows you to access a remote database ? Ask your DBA. A good way would be to use iSQL*Plus which can be used in a Internet Browser. Please specify in more details what you mean by offline client.

Provided Answers: 4
    If I understood you correctly, you'd like to access an off-line Oracle database (i.e. the one which has been shut down). If so, I'm afraid you can't do that. In order to access it, Oracle database must be up and running.

You might, however, extract several tables into CSV files and open them via MS Excel (just for example), but - that's not exactly what you'd like to do, I'm afraid.

Thumbs up

I would like to have client which somehow cashes the database and connection with server is not requered.

It seems Web-to-Go is that what i want. But I am not sure that I am in right way.
    If Oracle does not provide solution to my problem I should have more powerful client computers to keep DB copy and have a license for all of them.

Do you have any opinion?

Verona, not sure what you intend to do. Web-to-Go what is that ? Will you have a full fledged 3-Tier Architecture for your application ? Why would you need to cache the data on the client ? What architecture are you going to use ? Apache / Tomcat and Java applications ? Or are you about to setup an old fashioned client/server application ? Would love to help but then there is to much confusion here ....

Provided Answers: 12
    I guess it's more like a fat-client application that should also work if e.g. the Notebook of the user is not connected to the local network.
    So a local copy of the database is needed.

As far as I know there are no out-of-the box solutions for this.

If you are not restricted to Oracle you might consider Firebird as the DBMS. With that you could simply copy the .fdb file to the client computer and then run the application with an embedded Firebird engine.
    But you would need to stop the Server in order to be able to copy the database file. Probably also not what you want.

Thumbs up

Yea, what about JDBC RowSet objects?

You know, now I am looking for smth convenient for my project. I have not decided
    which DBMS I should use and what should be the client. I am looking for corresponding DBMS and client. I have heard that Firebird work slowly. This is the reason that I don't want to use it.

Please advise.

OK in our company we use PostgreSQL for these kind of things. This will allow you to dump the data from the server and restore it quickly on any client. And, the whole thing is even free of charge.

What about Oracle Express Edition? It has its limits, but - perhaps it could suit your needs (after all, it is free).

Quote Originally Posted by prsahe
    OK in our company we use PostgreSQL for these kind of things. This will allow you to dump the data from the server and restore it quickly on any client. And, the whole thing is even free of charge.
    How do you resolve the conflicts caused by each client while updating data in server?

Thanks in advance,
    Verona.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    What about Oracle Express Edition? It has its limits, but - perhaps it could suit your needs (after all, it is free).
    Why do you think that Oracle Express Edition can be useful?

Because you'd have a client which could cache data even when there's no connection with a server (post #4).

XE is relatively small in size and could be installed on any client (I just hope you don't intend to do that on AT 386 with 512K RAM and 30 MB HDD). Connection with a server's data might be through a materialized view which may be refreshed any time you want - periodically (every night, when client and server are connected), on demand (user chooses when to do that) or never at all (if you wish).

Another option is to move data from server to client by EXPORT and IMPORT utilities.

Finally, you don't have to worry about licencing XE as it is free.

Verona: What are the clients going to do with the data ? Are they traveling developers needing some local data which allows them to do their job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    Because you'd have a client which could cache data even when there's no connection with a server (post #4).

XE is relatively small in size and could be installed on any client (I just hope you don't intend to do that on AT 386 with 512K RAM and 30 MB HDD). Connection with a server's data might be through a materialized view which may be refreshed any time you want - periodically (every night, when client and server are connected), on demand (user chooses when to do that) or never at all (if you wish).

Another option is to move data from server to client by EXPORT and IMPORT utilities.

Finally, you don't have to worry about licencing XE as it is free.
    Thank you for clarifying.
    Verona.

Quote Originally Posted by prsahe
    Verona: What are the clients going to do with the data ? Are they traveling developers needing some local data which allows them to do their job ?
    The project is commercial.
    Clients should use the data even if connection is destroyed. They should search in data, insert and modify.