Unanswered: Oracle Forms 10g question - how to query multi-blocks?

I need to have the child record, in query mode, accpet a value as a parameter for the parent block.

Ideally the customer wants to be able to go back and forth between the parent and child blocks to enter query parameters.

I do not recall seeing a way to do this other than copying any nonull fields to a massive set of globals then enter them for the where clause in a pre-query trigger.

The customer would rather not do this and says that there is a way to set up the form to look like one is in and actually be in query mode across both blocks at the same time.

Does anyone know how to do this if it is possible?

Provided Answers: 4
    As far as I can tell, when you enter query mode, enter desired values there and execute a query. After detail records are fetched, go to the detail block, enter query mode again, enter values in detail block and execute a query once again.

That's what Forms built-in functionality does, and is by far the simplest way to do that.

You might, however, create a control block (i.e. non-database block) with all items customer would like to query and dynamically create DEFAULT_WHERE condition for both master and detail block. I believe this might work, but requires some coding. The first (default) approach requires nothing at all.

Thank you for responding, Littlefoot.

The problem is that the customer wants to allow query parameter entry for BOTH blocks at the same time. Default Oracle functionality seems to prevent leaving a block while in query mode.

How does one work around that without using a control block?

Well, create a VIEW by selecting all relevant columns from both tables and base your form on this view. You will not have a master-detail form any more, but you'll be able to enter query parameters for both tables at the same time.

I already mentioned that to the customer and they do not want to rewrite the whole form by changing the underlying tables to a view.

Is there a way to do a multiple block query parameter entry on blocks based on different tables?

Perhaps there is a way, but - you might need to choose a tool different from Oracle Forms Builder.

If you, however, find a way (different from the ones already suggested), please, let me know.

BTW, insisting on a car with square wheels doesn't make much sense to me. Because, that's exactly what you (and your customer) are trying to do.