Unanswered: help with database software

hi there i was wondering is it diificult to create a database software that connects two remote location??actually i ahve an automotive company that deals with spare parts and we have two branches and require a database software that includes inventory dealing with part numbers and evrythng...any recommendation on this software??or any other software that could be specailised..??your response will be highly appreciated..

Provided Answers: 59
    so do you actually mean a db to design the app, or do you mean an application off the shelf to manage inventory... different beasties.

the database, well at least to me (an probably most of the respondants here) means a piece of software than manages data, an applciation is somethign which process data via forms, reports, screens etc...... usually these application programs talk to a database./

so your answer could be
    write one on your own using say Access, or buy one in

well is there any other off shelf inventory software which is able to link two banches?

Provided Answers: 59
    im sure there must be.. as to waht it is, how much it costs and its availability I don't know.. why don't you do some research into that in an appropriate manner.. mebbe through your trade organisation, perhaps through google, mebbe your acountants.

Im pretty certain that somthing like Sage will do what you want, but whether its available where you are I don't know

something like SAP will do what you want
    heck there are thousands, probably more, applications out ther4e capable of handling multi site stock control. even those that are single site can be made to be multi site by creative use of stock location codes

but its hardly relevant on db forums..... which as I'm sure you'll know and appreciate is all about database design development issues

thank you for your support..i had done alot of research but the only problem that iam facing is that primary key in every software is limited to say like 10 or less characters...

...problem that iam facing is that primary key in every software is limited to say like 10 or less characters...
    And, why is this a problem?

Remember - A primary key only has one purpose - to ensure that there will ALWAYS be a unique key field for the data in the record. Sometimes, an existing field (a stock number, say) can be defined so that IT is the primary key. However, this is not a necessity, and in many 'canned' systems, surrogate 'autonumber' fields are intentionally used as the primary key fields.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

since i cannot kip it as autonumber or even if i kip it as autonumber then there isnt any other field to which i can assign the part number to...for example 90311-42003 is one part number of a seal for toyota make...if there is any other software please advise.