Unanswered: Explicitly replicating one record out of scheduled replication.

Hi,

Im having a situation where I have configured replication between remote sites and my head office, after every 24 hours. It is working perfectly. Now I want to modify it as per new business requirement. For this I need to know the answers to following questions. Any help will be appreciated.

Consider sample database with a master and child tables.

1) It is possible to replicate master table immediately and child table every 24 hour?

2) is there any possibility that we can explicitly replicate a single child record when required? For example, people can see master record without the need to see child table records, but if some one want to see some specific record from child table, can it be done?

Regards,

1. Yes ... use transactional replication for the master table and snapshot replication for the child table with a new snapshot every 24 hours.

2. No ... not without some sort of home-grown solution. Snapshot is like a batch process, transaction (and merge) can be scheduled as immediate or on a time unit basis (1 minute, 10 minutes, etc), but you don't get to mix and match at the row level.

If you build you own solution to this, and use snapshot replication for the child table, be aware that when the snapshot is applied to the subscriber, you will lose any operations that were independently applied to any of the subscriber articles.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

thanks for the reply. but can you please suggest me some solution for my requirement.

let me explain little more.

data entry is being done on remote locations. This data entry is related to big CAD and pdf files. Operators are populating the master table with matadata and child table with the files themselves. so each file has its matadata of less than 1K and the files could be of 90mb at times.

I can replicate master table (matadata table) easily. but if i try to replicate file table, then it slows down the whole process.

i was wondering, if there is any solution if i can control the replication process or something like that. or i can programatically call some procedures to do this type of replication.

regards

One way I can think of would be to add a replicate flag to the child table and let it default to 0. set the child table up with transactional replication, but alter the filter runle to only replicate the article when the flag = 1. then, when you need to immediately replicate a row, manually update the row to set the flag to 1, let it replicate, then reset it to 0.

You will still have to apply the new snapshot every 24 hours to ensure all rows are current, or you could keep track manually of all rows modified (added, updated, or deleted) during a 24 hour period by PK, then use a job to set the repl flag to 1 for added and updated rows, and manually delete deleted rows.

Just my thoughts on one way to do it ... not easy but workable.

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --