Unanswered: Problem with query

I made a forum. All works well but with one exception. If a reply has not been made to a topic, the topic does not appear on the list of topics.

Here is the query I am using:

Code:
    SELECT t.*, r.*, DATE_FORMAT(t.topic_last_reply, '%c/%e/%Y %l:%i %p') AS convdate FROM topics t JOIN replies r ON (t.topic_id = r.reply_topic) WHERE t.topic_forum = ".$_GET['forum_id']." GROUP BY t.topic_subject ORDER BY t.topic_last_reply DESC
    When a reply is made, it increments the value in topic_num_replies +1. So what I did is add a HAVING clause:

Code:
    SELECT t.*, r.*, DATE_FORMAT(t.topic_last_reply, '%c/%e/%Y %l:%i %p') AS convdate FROM topics t JOIN replies r ON (t.topic_id = r.reply_topic) WHERE t.topic_forum = ".$_GET['forum_id']." GROUP BY t.topic_subject HAVING t.topic_num_replies >= 0 ORDER BY t.topic_last_reply DESC
    I get the same result. As soon as I make a reply to the topic it appears on the list.

Thanks for your advice!

Provided Answers: 10
    You want to change your JOIN from an INNER to a LEFT on the replies table.
    The reason the second query didn;t erturn aresult is because when there are no replies then the count is NULL, not zero
    George
    Home | Blog

Thanks for your reply.

I made it a LEFT join but the results are still the same. I am running this in MySQL directly to make sure no PHP is getting in the way.

Thanks for your help.

Provided Answers: 10
    post the SQL when using a left join please
    George
    Home | Blog

Hey man, thanks but I got it working. I don't know what I did. Maybe it was just getting a new browser open.