Im not sure how this error started as last week I could do the same thing and it worked great, have upgraded my firewall which I suspect caused it.

The error produced was
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this
failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

This was showing up in my ASP pages as well as the error dialog in Management studio (but not last week), I modified the web config file to listen to port 1433, and now the pages server correctly,

But I have data that I need to copy from my Localhost to the remote server,
At a guess I think I need to allow SQL server to listen to port 1433 to get management studio to show the remote servers, can someone please help me,

Note: IN Management studio I can view the remote server and run queries but cannot import/export the data, the information for the remote host doesn't show in the options of the import/export tool, where as it use to.