Unanswered: Access runtime. "Installing feature"

Hi.
    I use the same runtime version as always but get the following messages each time I try to start my application.

1. Message box:
    Heading: Windows Installer
    Preparing to install…

then.

2. Message box:
    Heading: Installing components for
    Installing: feature.

The "feature" (whatever it is) installs and my application starts OK.

Does anybody know what this is ?
    How can I get dispose of this?

Thanks

Sincerely
    Vestigo

Hi vestigo,

What references are applied to your DB?

Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Provided Answers: 59
    it may be that you need to incorporate what ever feature its whinging about into the runtime build. Runtime is effectively a version of Access for each machine you chose to deploy it on. So if your runtime build doesn't incorporate each and every feature you use in your applications then more modern versions of runtime may well demand that these features are added when you runt the application., because runtime is a binary it wont be able to install those features into itself so I'm guessing.. and it is only a guess that runtime can use those features for the current usage, but doesn't incorporate those features into its own configuration so that you don't need to install them again.

older versions of runtme would just collapse and die if it was missing features.. mebbe newer ones are smarter.

I always thought the limited installation system that Microsoft introduced around 1998..2000 was to try and catch out those who were coping form a "borrowed" disk that had to be returned the following day.. in the days before CD copiers became cheap and easy to use
    Last edited by healdem; 12-03-07 at 05:14.

Sometimes this is a one time deal when you first run the application. Other times, it could be something which was not installed (to run from the harddrive) from the installation disk and you might want to run through the install routine to see if there's anything configured to run off of the cd verses the harddrive.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Hi.

This happens even when I create a RT with an empty database. I.e. no references at all.
    As mentioned, I do not know what features it's whinging about.

I will try to install a full version of MS Access and see if that helps.

Vestigo

Quote Originally Posted by vestigo
    Hi.

This happens even when I create a RT with an empty database. I.e. no references at all.
    As mentioned, I do not know what features it's whinging about.

I will try to install a full version of MS Access and see if that helps.

Vestigo
    so if you don't know what features the Access run time is missing or complaining about, then its highly unlikely that anyone here will be able to tell you.... think about it....

One possible solution is to open a copy of your access project in Access, take not of all the references that the project uses, take note of all the OCX controls and other support libraries and then make sure these appear in your build of runtime. Another option may be just to accept defeat and create your build of runtime with everything ticked.. and see if that cures the problem.

Its most likely that you are using soem optional component in your application that is not part of the standard Access core functions. so go through each form and report and try to see what you are suing that is not par of the standard Access build

compare waht your Access has against what you have specified for runtime.

apart form that I don't think there is a great deal anyone else can give.

Clean database

As mentioned, this happens also on an new/clean database. No forms, no code, no nothing. Once I try to create a table in this new database I get the Installing features messages.
    I have now tried to install a full version of MS Access with the same result.

This is quite confusing.

Thanks for any proposals

so what features have you enabled as part of your runtime environment
    are you missing any features that Access itself regards as critical

what libraries have you expressly included in your runtime?
    what libraries have you expressly excluded?

Two utilities that might help you track it down are Depends (Dependency Walker) and FileMon.
    You might already have depends.exe on your machine. You can use it to find an apps dependencies. It can be used to watch a running app to see what modules load and fail to load.
    FileMon will monitor all the file reads/writes on your machine. Seeing which files are accessed when you get to the "preparing to install" or "installing" message might tell you something useful.
    Don't Bogart That Squishee!

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Sincerely
    Vestigo.

Hot off the presses (last January)

In case you are still having the "installer" problem; I just ran across this Knowledge Base article:

http://kbalertz.com/265194/Windows-I...m-Started.aspx

Hopefully you won't have to resort to Method #3 - Reinstall Microsoft Access!

Good Luck
    Don't Bogart That Squishee!