Thread: I made and oops

Talking Unanswered: I made and oops

Humorous moment for you all. The attached image is a screen shot after I attempted to export a report from Access to my desktop as an HTML document. Much to my surprise, it did each page as an individual document. I had over 1000 pages.

Feel free to point and laugh.

Anyone know a good way to share and access report over the web? I'm thinking I can probably do it better through some other tools but since I'm the only one here that knows how to use them, I had hoped to keep it in Access and limit folks to a few command button clicks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oops.bmp  

convert to PDF?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

a PDF would be my plan B. I'd rather have something that they don't have to export and open up an FTP or something similar and upload.

How about creating a command button that points to a Snapshot (*.snp) report?

Wouldn't exactly be web-based, but assuming you had this on a network drive/intranet, it would be less complicated than having to FTP a PDF.

-Friz

I was all ready to point and laugh at your screenshot (I could use a good laugh), but the image icon says 2.85 MB. On my dial-up connection, that would probably take me 20 min to download.
    Do you have something against jpgs, gifs, or pngs?
    Don't Bogart That Squishee!

Friz,
    That looks like it would be about the same as a PDF.

A-dam,
    How inconsiderate of me. A more reasonable image is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oops.PNG  

Quote Originally Posted by starkmann
    a PDF would be my plan B. I'd rather have something that they don't have to export and open up an FTP or something similar and upload.
    they?

If you have users exporting reports, even in HTML, they would still have to upload the file to a server to make it available over the web. Just the same as a pdf.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

They - my coworkers.

true on the point about HTML vs PDF. I think most of them have Adobe Professional on their computers.

Very good point on that.

Quote Originally Posted by starkmann
    Friz,
    That looks like it would be about the same as a PDF.
    True, it would look the same, but I was approaching it from the angle that, unlike PDF, the creation of a snapshot file could be done entirely within the confines of Access.... whereas creation of a PDF would require the full version of Acrobat.

...was also going on the assumption that the report would not be static, and that connecting the report to a command button that could be clicked by the end-user would negate the need for the admin to create & post the report separately (whether it be via HTML or PDF)....

I work for the government and most folks in my office have the standard free version of Acrobat [insert joke about product made by the lowest bidder here], so I'm a pretty big advocate of snapshot files. The MS Word export would be great for me, except it never seems to correctly capture lines and text boxes....

... I believe I'm officially rambling now

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Friz
    True, it would look the same, but I was approaching it from the angle that, unlike PDF, the creation of a snapshot file could be done entirely within the confines of Access.... whereas creation of a PDF would require the full version of Acrobat.
    you can (so I believe write directly to PDF files using third party add ons which are not that expensive)..... there are quite a few out there.. Ive seen http://www.pdfpdf.com/index.html which seems to be fairly comprehensive, but there are plenty of contenders out there.

But personally I've always installed one or two copies the full Acrobat product when required.

I'm a great user and believer in PDF as a mechanism for distributing reports or other static information, it also helps if the organisation is going for the tree hugger ISO 1400x accreditation.

why?
    it doesn't immediately chew paper, being cynical if users subsequently choose to print the reports then it comes out of the 'their' it budget not mine

its easier and quicker to distribute.. an email with a URL which the viewer can download as required. The document is immediately archived, and often also available for comapratives for whoever needs it. It does mean that the PDF file names get very convulted usually with a name, date and sometimes version eg
    BalanceSheet2007Nov.pdf
    or
    CashflowProjection2007NovV5.pdf

Friz,
    I haven't really played with snapshot reports but I will take a look at them. We do have the full version of Adobe on most machines but I wouldn't be surprised if we missed a few. The report is not totally static but as of right now, weekly updates are adequate. I'm just planning on being off for a few weeks for the holidays.

Healdem,
    I'm a fan of Adobe as well. I don't care as much about the paper, I just find it easier to share digital copies. We are starting to do more telecommuting and conference calling here and Adobe is a very reasonable solution for a variety of problems.

My original intent that led to my snafu above was to play with Access pages to give people a limited set of features that are available in the app I wrote. This limited version would be shared with anyone who submitted issues to us, allowing them to keep tabs on the progress of their issue. I was having trouble getting the page to work so I got to thinking about just doing some kind of a report that got updated after our weekly meeting. That was what led to my attempt to export the report to HTML (see image above).
    At this point I see myself as having two options. Develop a limited interface in access and let anyone in the company (not that more than a few really would) look at the issues with search and filter capability but no edit or create new ability or publish a PDF/snf to the intraweb weekly.

I'm starting to wonder if I could grab some kind of wiki or blog software and repoint the fields to a database of my choosing and publish it out that way....