Unanswered: Multiple joins to a single table

The system I'm working with (Talis library management system) has a single table called TYPE_STATUS that contains the descriptive names of attributes that are stored as id codes in other tables.

I want to create a query that will output all borrower type / item type / loan type combinations in the LOAN_RULE table, along with a count of how many times each combination appears. This is easy enough to do as a list of codes, but more difficult if I want to make it human-readable.

What I've tried doing is including the TYPE_STATUS table three times, using different aliases, in the hope that the system will then treat the aliases as different tables:

select BTYPE.NAME as BORROWER, ITYPE.NAME as ITEM, LTYPE.NAME as LOAN, Count(*)
    from TYPE_STATUS BTYPE, TYPE_STATUS ITYPE, TYPE_STATUS LTYPE, LOAN_RULE
    where BTYPE.TYPE_STATUS = LOAN_RULE.BORROWER_TYPE
    and BTYPE.SUB_TYPE = 2
    and ITYPE.TYPE_STATUS = LOAN_RULE.ITEM_TYPE
    and ITYPE.SUB_TYPE = 1
    and LTYPE.TYPE_STATUS = LOAN_RULE.LOAN_TYPE
    and LTYPE.SUB_TYPE = 24
    group by BORROWER, ITEM, LOAN

However, the system just produces nothing (not even an error message). Can anyone point out where my logic is going screwy, please.

Thanks,
    Rob

Hmm. You might want to try one join at a time and then keep adding and see why you are not getting the data.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I found that my mistake was quite simple - Sybase doesn't allow you to group by a column alias. I had to change the final line to:

group by BTYPE.NAME, ITYPE.NAME, LTYPE.NAME

...and it worked!