Unanswered: Changing value of "Initial Size (MB)"

I would like to increase the initial size of a SQL 2005 DB from 150 to 250 GB to prevent automatic autogrowth; would this have any impact in production if you do it on the fly?

Thanks,

Carlos

yes it will ... sql server has to prepare the additional dataspace before it can be used. Why don;t you wait until off hours or a maintenance window?

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

we have an equallogic iSCSI SAN and a 64 bit quad processor server. How much downtime should I plan for?

Thanks

I would test it and see but you should be measuring in minutes - a real finger in the air maybe 10 minutes - but I really don't know. You could also maybe try doing it a bit at a time in a loop with a WAITFOR pause. This would prolong the process but maybe give the server chance to catch up on queued processes.

A further, more sophisticated method, would be to have a regular job check the amount of unused space at your typical low usage time (assuming there is one) and have it grow it ~3-4 days worth of growth if the free space is below a specified amount. This is the sort of proactive sizing we do in our shop.