Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Why script generator in 2005 Mgmt Studio so slow? (was "Somebody please tell me...")

...why the script generator in 2005 Management Studio is SO FREAKING SLOW!?

2000's EM would script out all the objects in a databases in 15 seconds. The new GUI is taking three-to-five seconds per object on my 1000 object database.

Man, the Management Studio interface is so lame.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

likely because of all the extra server calls.

try turning on profiler when you do it on EM vs SSMS. you'll find SSMS is quite chatty.

Your answer is a little more technical than I expected. Something along the lines of "Because it sucks. That's why." is closer to what I am looking for.

blindman

you might try this, see if you like it any better:

http://www.codeplex.com/scriptdb

it's still slow as it relies on SMO to do the work (and is therefore chatty), but it has the advantage of being a cmd line app and therefore automatable. also it's open source so you can tweak it as you like.

I'm curious Blindman - I know you have mentioned this several times. How come you are creating scripts from your database rather than your database from your scripts? Are these legacy client databases or something? It is simply that I've never had the need really. Having said that we do script out all our objects nightly as a bit of lightweight DR cover but I've never had need to resort to it.

Really? You never need to script out a database?
    We script out databases to roll them out to production, to archive code, to created copies of databases, and because our client wants the script for their ERD tool.
    And how do you created a "database from your scripts" unless you have scripted the database first?

blindman

Provided Answers: 6
    and you have to do this if you are in a commercial environment deploying code across many domains and environments.

of course you script everything in the development process but as a good check i build a empty database from my dev scripts and I do a database comparison against the development database to make sure nothing was slipped in under my nose.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Really? You never need to script out a database?
    We script out databases to roll them out to production, to archive code, to created copies of databases, and because our client wants the script for their ERD tool.
    And how do you created a "database from your scripts" unless you have scripted the database first?
    Nope - never (.... at least not as far back as I can remember which is quite a big qualifier actually ). We write all our scripts from templates, check into source safe and execute to create our dbs & objects. Rollout to prod is from these version controlled scripts, not the dev & test databases. Again, code is archived in version control. Our clients don't get the scripts as a matter of course - admittedly for a one off request "send us your code & schema" I might be tempted to script it out now I think on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    and you have to do this if you are in a commercial environment deploying code across many domains and environments.

of course you script everything in the development process but as a good check i build a empty database from my dev scripts and I do a database comparison against the development database to make sure nothing was slipped in under my nose.
    I'm not sure where you would script out the database. You have a db and want to check it is in line with your scripts? To do this we execute our scripts and then use a compare tool on the two databases. I don't understand what the process would be that would require scripting out the database.