databases and e-learning

Hello everyone

I don't know anything about databases or how they work but I've signed up on here to ask a few questions to be sure that my web developer isn't pulling my chain.

I've outsourced to India for the development of the site. It is an e-learning course that has a question bank of approx 500 ques. The site has the ability to login and it will save your progress and allow you to resume at the last place you've left off.

They are telling me that this is a massive database of questions and that with multiple users accessing it that it would bog it down extensively.

My questions are
    1. Is a bank of 500 questions located on a database really all that large?
    2. If what they say is true, can there be another solution without reducing the number of questions in the database?

Thanks for reading

Quote Originally Posted by highflyr
    ... ask a few questions to be sure that my web developer isn't pulling my chain.
    he\she\they is\are.

I've outsourced to India for the development of the site.
    first mistake.

They are telling me that this is a massive database of questions and that with multiple users accessing it that it would bog it down extensively.
    they have no idea what they are talking about. most of the DBAs here deal with millions of records routinely and most modern software developed by competent professionals can handle many many users.

My questions are
    see above.

2. If what they say is true, can there be another solution without reducing the number of questions in the database?
    Thanks for reading
    no problem. from what they told you, they are obviously incompetent and the little bit of money you saved by offshoring will be spent ten times over getting a proper developer to finish your project.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

in case you wanted a second opinion, sean is right -- colourful, but right

"multiple users" will not "bog it down extensively"

"they have no idea what they are talking about" pretty much sums it up

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

These days, most relational database engines are able to out-perform a file box filled with 3x5 cards. You'd be amazed how far the technology has progressed.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

the next step?

Hello everyone,
    Thanks to all those who replied and just solidified the fact that my chain was getting tugged by these developers overseas.

My next question is, what should the next step be? Should I let these guys struggle through with it even though they themselves are convinced that this database is "too large" ??

Should I cut my losses now and just find some talent in N.America? If so, here's where you reply to the post and plug your own company and have me contact you =)

Lastly, what can I tell these guys in "database-speak" that they are full of sh*t? In other words, some jargon to let them know that they are out to lunch on this subject?

Happy Holidays

have they designed the database for you yet? ask them to send you the CREATE TABLE statements and make sure the indexes are included

you haven't mentioned anything that would prevent you from getting a more-or-less complete database design within approximately a day on this forum
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Lastly, what can I tell these guys in "database-speak" that they are full of sh*t? In other words, some jargon to let them know that they are out to lunch on this subject?
    ask them to explain their design in terms of normal forms and which ones they used in what part of the database.

no company to plug. why would i want to spend any more time coding than the 8 hours i get paid for?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thanks for the quick replies, I've fired off an email to them to probe some more on their workings of the database.

I'm tempted to cut my losses and find someone in North America to not only remove the language barrier but to create something worthwhile. Our budget isn't huge (like any startup) but if you guys who frequent these threads often know of anyone who would fit this bill, please send me an email. I would greatly appreciate it. edward dot lee at shaw dot ca

From what you've posted I'd suggest pull the plug, get a developer in North America, there are plenty of them about!

I'm no longer in development and my organisation has outsourced work to India. It's been fairly disastrous!

I've been in contact with other people (on a different forum) whose organisations have outsourced to the sub continent: usually they end up paying more than if they'd stayed with a local IT Organisation.
    8)

<shameless plug>
    erm.. I wouldn't rule out other technological English speaking parts of the world such as Australia, New Zealand.. and theres that liddle island just off france.. forget what its called...
    </shameless plug>

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    and theres that liddle island just off france.. forget what its called...
    Corsica
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Corsica
    HTH
    but is Corsica part of the English Speaking world?

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    but is Corsica part of the English Speaking world?
    With the possible exception of the occasional visitor from off-planet, everyone on Corsica can speak English. If they will speak English is a different question, but that same question seems to apply to every island off the coast of France except for Ireland and Greenland.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    With the possible exception of the occasional visitor from off-planet, everyone on Corsica can speak English. If they will speak English is a different question, but that same question seems to apply to every island off the coast of France except for Ireland and Greenland.
    Ouch