Unanswered: WARM Standby srver is Slower

Hi Friends,

In my environment my Primary and Warm standby server are working fine but when I am doing some huge conversion in database warm standby runs slower than Primary server.

Can Anyone Help

Is the hardware (processor, disks, RAM) the same for both the primary server and the warm server?

Is the warm standby server used by other systems as well? i.e. is it the warm standby to a number of different systems.

I'm not certain about this but I believe replication will turn a single update on the live server into a continual series of updates streaming onto the warm standby i.e. if you updated 1000 records with and update statement then this would be turned into 1000 separate operations on the replication server to update each record on the warm standby. This would obviously effect any other operations on that server.

Also to a lesser extent the data is more likely to be cached on the live server than on the warm standby.

Mike

Thanks for response friend.

1: Resources are same forprimary and warm standby server.

2: No other application or system.

3: Normally everything is wotrking fine only when I am running a large conversion for this I turn off replication for that particular transaction and run it and after that same conversion I run in warm standby server ad if primary takes 2 hours warm standby taking 2 hours and 40 minutes.

4: This is one time conversion I am running

If the replication is turned off and the query still takes longer on the warm standby then I guess the issue is not to do with replication.

Have you tried updating the stats on the warm standby? I'm not sure whether these are passed across via replication or not.

Are the indexes all in place on the warm standby?

It may well be worth looking at the query plan on the live and warm standby and see if they are the same, if they are different then it should point you more towards an answer.

Code:
    set showplan on
    set noexec on
    ... your long query goes here
    set noexec off
    set showplan off
    Mike

It sounds like good suggesion

I have not tried to check quetry plan.

Other than that update statistics I have already ran on warm standby too and all the indexes and other stuff is in place.

I turn on replication only for thias statement other than that it is on all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kaashsindhu
    Thanks for response friend.

1: Resources are same forprimary and warm standby server.

2: No other application or system.

3: Normally everything is wotrking fine only when I am running a large conversion for this I turn off replication for that particular transaction and run it and after that same conversion I run in warm standby server ad if primary takes 2 hours warm standby taking 2 hours and 40 minutes.

4: This is one time conversion I am running
    Just to make sure.

1. Did you do a diff between both cfg files?
    4. You didnt mention what type of transactions these are.