Unanswered: compare Utilities for comparing stored procedure results?

I have large stored procedures in SQL Server 2005 that often get updated. Sometimes it is very difficult to recognize how one change could impact the overall results. I would like to have some sample input that I could test during changes and see it compare the data results before & after my changes. This would help me quickly identify if the results are fine to pass through.

So basically I would like an easy way to compare the results of 2 stored procedures. Any suggestions or utilites that would help me do this?

1. you could dump the result set of each into a temp table, then compare the temp tables with a join as long as there is a meaningful key to join on. could use a full outer join and call RAISERROR if either side of the join has a null.

2. you could use bcp to export the results of each proc to a file, then compare the files with a diff tool.

of course neither of these helps you with the side-effects (such as updating/deleting rows) that the proc may have. all it does is compare the the results returned, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    1. you could dump the result set of each into a temp table, then compare the temp tables with a join as long as there is a meaningful key to join on. could use a full outer join and call RAISERROR if either side of the join has a null.
    Easier to use a union in a derived table and return all rows with a COUNT(*) = 1 based on a group by of that table. It makes it easier to isolate & compare attributes (as opposed to keys) and you don't have to figure out bodges to handle nulls.

That, at any rate, is how I do it.

yes, that's better for sure. good idea.

Thanks for the tip. I was kind of hoping there is a simple utility out there that does this and allows me to compare other things automatically like the differences between the column headers. It seems I should just load this into .NET for a more dynamic comparison. The union idea sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by cragi
    Thanks for the tip. I was kind of hoping there is a simple utility out there that does this and allows me to compare other things automatically like the differences between the column headers. It seems I should just load this into .NET for a more dynamic comparison. The union idea sounds good.
    There are. I don't use them however as they can be very inefficient. I think they do something like load the data into .NET\ C++ for dynamic comparisons Seriously - keep the stuff in SQL. You might be more comfy with .NET but it will be very inefficient compared to SQL.

If you want a tool check out AdeptSQL Diff or ApexSQL Diff. I have no experience of any other comparison tools. I will warn you however - these are great for comparing schema definitions\ objects but inefficient when it comes to data. Jesse might have something up his sleeve too....

thanks for the tips