Let me start by saying that I am traditionally an application developer, but I have recently been tasked with doing some research into a Data Migration that will need to take place in the future.
I have been looking for products/tools that will help this migration go as smoothly as possible, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had first-hand experience with any good/bad products.
Unfortunately, there are a lot of "unknowns" at this time so please bear with me.
Here are some of the tasks that the "ideal" tool would be able to perform:
- migration of data from various (and unknown at this time) databases into a central oracle (version unknown) database
- reformatting/standardization of datatypes (ie - date/time, strings, etc)
- automated and customizable data conversion (ie - convert feet into meters)
- data analysis to identify/flag records which cannot be automatically converted
- the ability to export data in various formats
ANY help will be greatly appreciated. I realize that I have been pretty vague, but this is the extent of the information that I have at this point.
I don't do ETL (basically I only do Extract and then Load again, so I leave out the T) therefor I cannot suggest any tool that would do the transformations you need.
Just be aware that I those listed in my post are the result of looking about 10 seconds or so on their homepage. You will have to do your own research, but the advanced transformation features that you require will probably narrow down the search